Chrome Bezel Repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapppy, Feb 4, 2009.

1. slapppy macrumors 65816

Okay, since my Neo was all worn out, I tried the PowerSupport Air Jacket. I figure it should be enough to protect the back from putting it down, until I get a replacement.

What a piece of junk. $40 ( including tax/shipping ) for a piece of thin plastic, and two screen protectors. After a few days, the chrome bezel on my iPhone that has been perfect ( thanks to the Neo ) now has vertical scratches along the bottom edge on the right side of the phone. The left side has a few also. Scratches developed just where the PS Jacket covered the chrome. Just from a few days use.

Has anyone tried using this to clean up or minimized scratches?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx

2. JVV macrumors newbie

Yeah, I happened to try out Rad-Tech's 'IceCreme,' but with minimal results.

I mainly got it to help clear up some of the scratches to the back of my black 3G, which didn't help much at all, just a big mess:mad:

I then tried it on the chrome and the lotion turns in to a powder that gets in between the crevasses of the phone leaving a white residue with next to no change in the over-all appearance.

I ended up returning it, but they were extremely helpful and friendly and reimbursed me in full minus shipping, of course:cool:.

3. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information on that. I was hoping it would help clean up the scratches/gouges the PS Jacket caused. The powder you can probably use a vacuum to suck out from the crevice. Too bad it didn't do much to restore the chrome bezel.

4. Cask Guest

I had the same problem as you, with Griffin's Wave case. I applied Brasso Metal Polish on the bezel and it left it almost as good as new. You just have to be careful of not polishing too much and that the Brasso doesn't get stuck between the screen and bezel, in the rubber gasket.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

6. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

I forgot about that one. My first gen iPhone also got screwed up with that stupid Belkin Acrylic case.

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Reckitt-Benckiser-2660076523-Brasso-Polish/dp/B000BQKALW

7. Cask Guest

My bottle was not exactly like that but it must be the same thing. You can buy it at any walmart.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just go naked now that your phone is scratched now anyway.

9. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess your right. Might as well go neked and let is all hang loose! :p

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I for one love the Air jacket...just enough case to cover the back of the phone. I agree though, it does cause scratches. But then again, most iPhone cases will. You can always do the "brushed aluminum" look by sanding it down. I've been debating doing so for a while.

11. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

I just watched that Youtube video of the procedure. It looks so easy, but I'm kinda scared to do it. :p

It would probably look really good too on the 3G with white or black. Gotta find some high res images of the finished work. If its that good, I may get brave enough to do it.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

This thread has all kinds of pics. iPhone 3G pics are in the more recent pages. ;)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=332434&highlight=chrome+bezel

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Guys get over it ( OP has some serious OCPD )

Girls will still like you if you iPhone has a scratch

This isn't a piece of art, its an item that is a daily used item, it will show signs of use

14. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

15. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

On a more helpful note

a) Avoid the use of automotive strenght metal polishers, these will eat away at rubber

b) If you are serious about the brushed aluminum look... take your time. I have seen "DIY" brushed aluminum that has looked good, but also seen some really crappy looking stuff

good luck