Chrome Canary Flickering at Scaled resolutions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prfrma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. prfrma macrumors regular

Only happened today. Updated to mountain lion and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Going to install/restall and see if that does anything....

(btw, my MBPr is blazing after the ML install! And beyond Chrome I've had no serious issues so far)

2. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

I think turning off threaded compositing (about:flags) has improved things somewhat but it hasn't completely fixed things.

Quite annoying that, hope it's fixed soon.

No one else having the same issue?

----------

Disabling GPU threaded rendering helps too, but it then becomes more laggy than standard chome.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's probably a Canary because it's not ready for a public release yet, because of those kind of issues.

I don't have any fix, I would just use Safari until a new stable release of Chrome is available. Bugs are to be expected in a pre-release product.

4. ninad macrumors member

5. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

It was the latest version. Disabling gpu compositing fixed the problem - seems like it's a feature that's underbaked right now.

Safari is currently the best browser right now, just a shame that it doesn't fit my usage patterns whatsoever.

6. youri macrumors newbie

Version 22.0.1218.0 canary

Issue and workaround (disable GPU composition) confirmed.

7. RMSko macrumors 6502

Issue with rMacBook Pro and Chrome Canary

I've been running Chrome Canary on my rMBP for a few weeks with no issues at all. Then, a couple of days ago, I started to see some strange behavior. Whenever I run Canary, as I move my cursor around the screen, it's very choppy and there is a white blur that seems to follow the cursor around (it's hard to explain, but hopefully you get the picture). I know there are some lag issues with the rMBP that is supposed to improve with ML (I'm still waiting for my upgrade code - it's been 48 hours - but that's a different story), but what is strange is that it was running fine until recently. I shut down, restarted, uninstalled and re-installed, but all to no avail. So far the problem doesn't seem to be happening with Safari or regular Chrome. Anyone have any thoughts?

8. markp99 macrumors member

I think I see the same thing as you describe. Canary is unusable for me like this...though I am beginning to really like Safari...

For me, I am seeing a flicker or flash as my cursor passes over various page elements, like a frame border, or hyperlink. The flicker is typically limited to a block or square on the page, typically 1/3 to 1/2 of the page. The flicker will change the region of the page involved to pure white, or white & grey checkerboard (like Photoshop's transparency background). On pages where this is present it it 100% repeatable. Other pages I do not see this affect at all.

Strange. SO, Canary is on the shelf for now.

I noticed this before the ML update. I had to re-install the OS due to some other flaky issues (alpha/numeric keys not working). I was worried I had a hardware issue - OS refresh fixed the issue, but the flicker persists in ML.

9. RMSko macrumors 6502

That's a much better description of what is happening and it is exactly what is happening for me. I'm okay with Safari, but I have a bit of an anal issue with it. When I imported my bookmarks from Chrome, they all have a round circle as an icon instead of the icon from the site. It changes to the site icon once I go to the site. It's obviously a very minor annoyance, but . . . The other thing with Safari is that the option to open a new tab is all the way on the right instead of next to the tabs. Don't know why they did that.

As for Canary, the strange thing for me is that it only started doing this recently, but I agree, it makes it unusable. When you re-installed the OS, are you saying it fixed your alpha/numeric issue, but didn't help with the Canary "flicker" issue?

----------

Thanks, could you give a quick summary of the steps to do this?

10. RMSko macrumors 6502

I went to chrome://flags and disabled GPU Compositing. I'm not sure if that was what you were referring to, but it didn't completely fix the problem. It helped, but I still have the issue a little bit.

11. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

Latest version of chrome has removed the issue

12. IPlayFair macrumors member

I have to ask, if you guys are not developers why did you install Chrome Canary on your machines with such an ominous download warning?

Don't want Canary? Download Google Chrome
    For Mac OS 10.6 or later, Intel only
    Not for the faint of heart
    Canary is designed for developers and early adopters, and can sometimes break down completely.
    Nightly updates
    Canary changes almost every day.
    Side-by-side install
    Run Canary and Chrome Stable at the same time.

13. Nutzer macrumors newbie

I'm confused, is the latest version of Chrome, Retina ready? I've been running beta, if Chrome is retina ready, I will switch to the stable version.

14. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Chrome?
    Chrome Beta?
    Chrome Dev?
    Chrome Canary?

I am using the latest Chrome Beta and it is optimised for retina and doesn't flicker like Canary.

15. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

Chrome Canary.
    You can use safari preferances to set it to default browser too - Does chrome beta have the same performance of Safari?