Chrome Canary

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by CapnJackGig, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Anyone else notice the recent changes to Canary? It doesn't quite have the graphical oomph of the page forward-backward of Safari, but it's starting to look really nice. And best of all it isn't a memory pig like Safari is.

Latest update has a near arrow graphic indicating which direction you're navigating with the two finger swipe.

2. HelloPanda, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

HelloPanda macrumors member

Tell me about it, Canary has been getting updates at an unbelievable pace, at least one update daily, and each update brings with it significant changes.

The new arrow for back and forward is really sexy. Notice, that the arrow moves across the page slowly, if you swipe slowly, I really like that.

Also, the new bookmark page is a great idea, but they need to improve the interface to make it more like the "Most Visited" page.

Fullscreen is great, scrolling is smooth, and pages load much faster than Safari. Also, there is nothing that comes close to Chrome's good old Omnibar.

EDIT: Still waiting on an iOS-like zoom feature.

3. CapnJackGig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm loving Canary now. And you're right, the amount of changes almost daily is great. Favorite browser bar none.

4. kopite19 macrumors regular

I like it but would like the iOS zooming and the lookup feature

It's good that it's native fullscreen. Will use it more over the weekend and see how it fares against Safari for my uses.

[edit] rubber band scrolling is there..i'm just dumb

5. HelloPanda macrumors member

You can find a dictionary/look-up extension for Chrome. There are plenty over at the app store.

6. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I've been using it too for the last week or so. Chrome still has some quicks that I don't like, and in the end I prefer Safari. But Safari is using way too much memory and even when scrolling the CPU spikes all the time. It's really absurd. A production machine is still running Snow Leopard and on that Safari 5.1 is completely unusable, eating up to 1.5GB of RAM just for a couple of tabs.

Canary is really fast, relatively low memory usage and very stable. Now if only they'd fix it so you could get rid of that window-resizing download bar :mad: