Chrome causing GPU to switch to discrete card? Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evev12, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

Is this happening for everyone? Is there any way to change it to stay on integrated?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Chrome relies heavily on GPU acceleration. You could just use GFXcardstatus to control which GPU is being used.

3. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Are you using chrome partly because its faster? You now know why b

4. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

It's generally flash plugins that cause the card to switch. This can be somewhat mitigated by selectively enabling plugins.

5. scenox macrumors member

you can also change this behavior in chrome://flags

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Apple's so called automatic switching is just a broken pretty poor implementation. It doesn't switch according to need and it cannot switch back once the application is running. It effectively switches as soon as one app might potentially require the faster GPU for best performance.
    Say you run Chrome and since Chrome initializes certain frameworks that it can use to run some HTML5 3D games it switches on the dGPU. Even if all you do is browse news sites and read text. The same with Flash.

The only work around its using gfxCardStatus and force the intel GPU. I do this always when on battery. Pretty much always when I am in OSX and not using an external screen.
    iPhoto triggers the dGPU even if all you do is slide through a few photos or import some. Stuff the iGPU is more than capable of handling.

7. JellyFish macrumors regular

Try installing the Flashblock extension in Chrome. That'll take care of the pesky flash ads that are probably doing it. You can still see flash content by clicking on the flashblock overlay.

8. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

I've never looked at it that way but I gotta disagree. Chrome is nowhere near that much faster than Safari or any other browser for that matter to warrant that change in gpu's. Most increases in speed are just about imperceivable to the average person and the internet is pretty instantaneous as it is for your average website, it's not as if Chrome is light years ahead. Flash seems to make more sense.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I use gfxcardstatus to do so.

10. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Chromium doesn't trigger discrete, just wait for the work to filter to the release Chrome build, or just use Chromium...