Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Google's Chrome has never been a priority for Windows Phone (much like every other Google app), but 2 days ago an update was made in the Chromium log assigning the app to a known WP developer.

Of course, Chrome has been sitting in the log since October of 2012 and hasn't gone anywhere. In fact, this is the first update in the log since July of last year. What does any of this mean? It means that at the very least, someone is at least considering developing Chrome to work on WP. We'll see. One can only hope, because right now every single web browser on WP sucks ass. UC is okay, but compared to just about any browser on iOS or Android, it still sucks.

Chromium log is below:

Attachments

• Chromium.jpg
    Chromium.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 143

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Why do you say that the browsers on WP suck?

Probably due to that any web browser allowed on Windows Phone have to use the IE engine. Much alike Apple's rule when it comes to web browsers.

However, 90% + of websites that are mobile optimised aren't optimised well, if at all for IE on Windows Phone.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Probably due to that any web browser allowed on Windows Phone have to use the IE engine. Much alike Apple's rule when it comes to web browsers.

However, 90% + of websites that are mobile optimised aren't optimised well, if at all for IE on Windows Phone.

Can you please give me examples of the troubles that this lack of optimization causes in the browsing experience on WP8?

P.S. I tried a Lumia 1520 and found a ton of checkerboarding when zooming out in IE which I found quite abnormal, is this because of the lack of optimization?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can you please give me examples of the troubles that this lack of optimization causes in the browsing experience on WP8?

P.S. I tried a Lumia 1520 and found a ton of checkerboarding when zooming out in IE which I found quite abnormal, is this because of the lack of optimization?

For example view this website/forum on an iPhone or android device in desktop view and whilst obviously small everything is formatted correctly.

When I view it on my 1520 text size is all over the place.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140327_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140327_0001.png
    554.3 KB · Views: 127

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
For example view this website/forum on an iPhone or android device in desktop view and whilst obviously small everything is formatted correctly.

Wow, that's bad... Thankfully though, not deal breaker bad. Are there any more serious repercussions of the lack of optimization than text formatting?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Browsing on the Nokia Icon was less than ideal as I became more familiar with it. I tried the other browser mentioned and a no go as well. It was one of the reasons I returned it.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Browsing on the Nokia Icon was less than ideal as I became more familiar with it. I tried the other browser mentioned and a no go as well. It was one of the reasons I returned it.

Could you please expand on that? What was so bad about the browsing experience?

As you can probably tell, I am very interested to know about the browsing experience on WP8 as its the most important part of my current phone and am looking forward to WP8.1...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wow, that's bad... Thankfully though, not deal breaker bad. Are there any more serious repercussions of the lack of optimization than text formatting?

No not really, and it isn't bad in all websites, just some. It's more annoying than anything else.

I actually find things like multiple tabs and tab management smoother on WP than the others. I also haven't had the checkerboarding myself and even with multiple tabs open I have no problems going back and forth.

The text formatting on certain sites is my only annoyance with the browser, one that could be rectified easily if they saw fit.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Oh come on, you were raving about UC Browser a few posts ago, and now you're saying it sucks? :rolleyes:

Would be cool to see it coming to Windows Phone, for the sake of syncing across multiple devices.

I am saying that it sucks in comparison to Android and iOS browsers. It is okay and works on WP, and the more I used it the more issues I found. Text reflow, certification issues, or inability to load a page at all was becoming big issues.

I am now trying the browser called Surfy to see if it works.

I can only hope that Microsoft revamps IE completely in the 8.1 update and that they get it working better.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I prefer IE to UC :eek:

I'd give chrome an honest shot. I use it on my MacBook and anytime I'm using an Android phone.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I had a lumia 7 and ie worked just fine for me but i never did much browsing in really; isnt ie on wp like safari is in ios ? I mean other browsers are just skin?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

I've had that issue on Chrome for Android for a long time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-30-17-09-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-30-17-09-05.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 122

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've had that issue on Chrome for Android for a long time.

Just tried; Yep it does it for me when I go into a thread but when just looking at main section it doesn't.

Very strange behaviour. Though its definetly more common on windows phone 8 internet explorer than chrome on android.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Thank goodness for tapatalk :)

I don't know why but I never like using dedicated apps.. I never use an app for reddit, or tapatalk or anything like that. I always just use Chrome for just about everything I can... is there something wrong with me?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't know why but I never like using dedicated apps.. I never use an app for reddit, or tapatalk or anything like that. I always just use Chrome for just about everything I can... is there something wrong with me?

I was resistant to use a third party app but after getting used to tapatalk 4 on Android I find it very good for browsing forums much quicker than using chrome. Easier to subscribe to threads and check messages on the go.

Its packed with features and makes it as easy as pie to add photos and attachments to posts.

Not super keen on Tapatalk layout on my Lumia 1520 though, requires another learning curve and doesn't have all the features of android version so I prefer to use the browser when on my 1520.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
I was resistant to use a third party app but after getting used to tapatalk 4 on Android I find it very good for browsing forums much quicker than using chrome. Easier to subscribe to threads and check messages on the go.

Its packed with features and makes it as easy as pie to add photos and attachments to posts.

Not super keen on Tapatalk layout on my Lumia 1520 though, requires another learning curve and doesn't have all the features of android version so I prefer to use the browser when on my 1520.

Yeah, I did use it some time ago on my SII, but ever since I got my Note II, I stopped.

And really? I found Tapatalk on WP very enticing and I would definitely use it if I ever get a WP. The design alone is enough to keep me using it even if it lacks a load of features... guess I really am a sucker for design..

P.S. I am the same guy who was bitching about Android's design a couple of months ago, though I doubt you remember that :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.