Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Current Setup:

X-25 M G2 SSD (80Gb) in the main Hard drive spot
Seagate Momentus (500Gb) in an optibay drive in the optical drive spot (optical drive removed)

Everything is working perfectly, except that I moved my downloads folder to the seagate (optical drive) so that when I download things everything goes there. When I try to save PDFs in chrome to my downloads folder (Seagate/optical drive) Chrome crashes. It happens sporadically, but frequently (at least once everytime I try to save something; i.e. some downloads are successful.)

I moved my downloads folder back to the main drive (desktop) and it hasn't crashed since.

Can anyone explain why or find a fix so I can have the downloads folder on teh seagate?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Current Setup:

X-25 M G2 SSD (80Gb) in the main Hard drive spot
Seagate Momentus (500Gb) in an optibay drive in the optical drive spot (optical drive removed)

Everything is working perfectly, except that I moved my downloads folder to the seagate (optical drive) so that when I download things everything goes there. When I try to save PDFs in chrome to my downloads folder (Seagate/optical drive) Chrome crashes. It happens sporadically, but frequently (at least once everytime I try to save something; i.e. some downloads are successful.)

I moved my downloads folder back to the main drive (desktop) and it hasn't crashed since.

Can anyone explain why or find a fix so I can have the downloads folder on teh seagate?

Higher SATA modes require higher frequencies (on the cable to/from the HDD/SSD), so longer cables without proper layout and without proper shielding can cause data transfer errors. It is a temporary solution, but you can set the transfer speed of the HDD/SSD to the slowest speed as possible (look in your HDD/SSD manual). This should help.

AFAIK, optical drives (CD/DVD) read/write data with something < 15 MByte/s, so the cables for these drives are likely for SATA I (1.5 GBit/s (maximum)), and NOT for SATA II (3.0 GBit/s (maximum)) or SATA III (6.0 GBit/s (maximum)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.