Chrome enabling desecrate video

Discussion in 'macOS' started by silverf1re, May 28, 2011.

1. silverf1re macrumors regular

So browsing macrumors.com and others I noticed that in chrome it enables my dedicated graphics and on safari it does not. Didn't know if anyone else noticed this but I was thinking about submitting it to google, seems like a waste of battery.

2. silverf1re thread starter macrumors regular

bye chrome

So after trolling the chromium bug forums it seems that this is a known issue with the status of "wontfix" Google says they can't do anything about it and apple needs to fix it. I loved chrome on my windows machine, but I'm not going to sacrifice battery life for chrome so I guess safari it is. Given this information does it change anyone else's view on chrome?

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

I don't use Chrome, but I know about the problem.

An option is to use the application gfxCardStatus (download) to force the computer to use the integrated graphics.

4. silverf1re thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your input and I do know that that application I can force GPU on or off but it takes away from the experience of a smooth OS. I do appreciate the post but I think im am switching browsers. What do you use since you do not use chrome.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You're welcome. And I can definitely follow what you're saying about gfxCardStatus detracting from your user experience. I don't use it either.
    But just one last tip, in case you don't know: The application has an option to change graphics based on power source. For instance, you could set it to integrated while on battery and dynamic when plugged in.

I use Safari.