Chrome for iOS Updated With Handoff Support, Material Design, iPhone 6 Optimization

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced an update for its Chrome iOS app with several new features, perhaps most notably the ability to transfer from Chrome on your mobile device to a browser on OS X thanks to integration with Handoff.

The Handoff support works seamlessly, allowing users to continue browsing a mobile webpage on their desktop of choice, but the update also brings a couple of other updates to Chrome on iOS, namely a graphical overhaul in line with Google's Material Design aesthetic and general optimization for "bigger phones."

The Chrome team is excited to announce Chrome 40 for iPhone and iPad. Chrome 40.0.2214.61 contains a number of improvements including:

-New look with Material Design bringing bold graphics, fluid motion, and tactile surfaces
-iOS 8 optimizations and support for bigger phones
-Support handoff from Chrome to your default browser on OS X
-Stability improvements and bug fixes
The update is available now and Chrome can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Updated With Handoff Support, Material Design, iPhone 6 Optimization

xizdun

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
About time. I expect Chrome on iOS to be superior to Safari, but that just hasn't been the case.

I miss the ability to search for a word on the current webpage via the address bar — have to revert to Safari to do that.
I'm also unable to reliably log into multiple Gmail accounts via Chrome (not talking about the Gmail iOS App), but works fine in Safari.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Is there any technical reason why they don't offer full Chromecast support in Chrome on iOS, just like the Mac version does? At the moment it is only able to work if the website supports it. But on the Mac it will work with almost any website.

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apparently the better the quality of mobile displays become, the less details we want to display with them.
I think I disagree with what you seem to be getting at here. With simpler graphics, you're more likely to notice low resolution.

Take a simple black circle stroke on a white background and compress it. You'll notice the artifacts.

Take a picture of a person and compress it. I think you're less likely to notice the artifacts.

So I would say you actually need higher quality screens for simpler graphics to look good.

----------

-Support handoff from Chrome to your default browser on OS X
Lets be realistic here: they're using Chrome on iOS. Is there any real doubt what their default browser is on OS X?

kmil

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
i would be interested to see if there are now more users on iOS than Android able to experience Material Design since less than 0.1% have Android 5.0 (Lollipop).

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank god. This is the number one app I've been wanting handoff for. Now if they would only add the "OK Google" command like the search app has...

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Well handoff seems to be working, but it's sending the site from Chrome to Safari instead of Chrome to Chrome when going between iOS devices (my iMac doesn't supposed handoff so I can only use it between iPhone and iPad).

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry Google but if I want 'material design' I'll buy an Android phone. iOS apps should conform to iOS UI/UX ethos as much as possible.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Sorry Google but if I want 'material design' I'll buy an Android phone. iOS apps should conform to iOS UI/UX ethos as much as possible.
iOS 7+ UI design has been cribbed from Android 4.* "Holo" design. "Material Design" is an evolutional refinement of Holo.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
i would be interested to see if there are now more users on iOS than Android able to experience Material Design since less than 0.1% have Android 5.0 (Lollipop).
Android isn't updated like iOS. Google services apps are updated individually, outside of the OS update. So pretty much anyone on Android using Google's apps have experienced Material Design. MD isn't dependent on Lollipop.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Chrome 40?! I didn't realise the major version had got that high.

Is there another software that's got to version 40?

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I so wanted to try Lollipop on a new Moto G I had for a couple of weeks. And even though it was officially launched, Motorola said it was up to the carriers to release it. Couldn't be bothered waiting...went back to iOS.

Too bad, because it looks decent. Although a friend who's been on Android for years, says there's way too much unnecessary animation.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
iOS 7+ UI design has been cribbed from Android 4.* "Holo" design. "Material Design" is an evolutional refinement of Holo.
I wouldn't say that. Android didn't get the proper flat design until later in the 4.* cycle, well after Windows Phone 8, so if anything, they are both "cribbing" Windows Phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.