Chrome for Mac released?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eminemdrdre00, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

2. inmotion macrumors member

the link is for build 3.0.182.5
    if you simply go to the chromium directory (http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/sub-rel-mac/) you can find the latest versions (currently Version 3.0.184.0)

chrome is still clearly in the "alpha" stage... flash doesn't even work yet so keep that in mind before downloading (and when, and if, you do decide to download... new builds are constantly making appearances)

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just saw that on the Chromium blog. To bad it's alpha, if not pre-alpha. No Flash for Youtube, no privacy settings, not even print.

It's cool though. I like little animation that happens when you open a new tab. For now, I'm just going to delete it and use Firefox with the chromium theme. Almost looks like the same thing.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh good, another crappy beta browser for people to complain about here when it breaks something on their system.

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Meh. Don't really need another browser, either way it's not for PPC :confused:

6. knightlie macrumors 6502a

If it's at such an early stage, they must have only started the Mac version after the Windows one was released. But then judging by the awful Picasa for Mac, Google don't have many good Mac programmers around...

7. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Even so, I still don't see the Chrome excitement. Anyone that goes out their way to get a different browser from their default browser on their system (ie. Internet Explorer and Safari) will almost certainly go for Firefox... which is much better, for a more professional user.

When I tried Chrome on Vmware on Windows XP, it just felt like a child's toy based on Firefox.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed, don't really see why this is news. It does have a different icon :shrug:

When Chrome was announced it was windows only and google hoped to get the mac/linux versions out reasonably quickly. This was revised to 1st half 2009 which doesn't really give them long. I expect it be a good little while before it is good enough to be released.

Chrome's separation of plugins and tabs as different processes is quite an attractive feature and it has likely been that which has caused the hype around it.

From my little experience it does seem to be a worthy contender in the browser world, obviously like all the others it is down to personal preferences and it seems to offer people something they like.

I really don't get the feeling that it was based on Firefox, in fact I got the immedaite feeling of stripped down Opera.

9. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

YouTube worked for me just as well as any other browser.
    Just a heads up. :)

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's really fast, it's got a very streamlined, easy to use user interface. I like it much better than Safari for example. All it's lacking is a good extension API, while it already has extension support, the extensions are few and not configurable at all.

The OSX version is not worth using yet tho. The UI seemed slightly sluggish and some of the keyboard shortcuts are still Windows style (using Ctrl instead of Cmd).

12. jovanboi macrumors member

I have been using the latest Chromium build for the past few days. I must say this thing is pretty fast. It doesn't freeze on certain sites like FF or Safari tends to do sometimes, it just keeps on rolling along. I am on the fence about making this the default browser though.

The scrolling isnt as smooth here as I would like, so it's almost like I'm rolling the browser over a pound of rocks. Not a large issue, but enough for me not to consider it for default.