Chrome for OSX still a long way to go

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/chromium-for-os-x-state-of-the-browser.ars

[​IMG]

2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

I'm not really in a hurry to get Chrome. It's nice and all for Windows, but Safari works just fine for me. When I need an additional browser I fire up Firefox. I don't see Chrome replacing Firefox any time soon, because I would still want the extras I have on Firefox, like Firebug. There's no need for 3 browsers on my Mac.

3. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Oh, that looks cool. Do you have any screens to share?
    EDIT: Never mind, found it..

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Not concerned. Have used chrome and I was not overly impressed.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm actually looking forward to the release of Safari 4 now rather than Google Chrome. I will try Google Chrome once it comes out though.

6. torchwood04 macrumors regular

May I make a suggestion about the Stainless website? The download, screencap, and dev links are kinda hard to read..

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

The more I use Safari 4, the more I'm liking it. Minus the lag on loading gifs.

The feature that I like about Chrome, that Apple should adopt is making the url bar the search bar as well.

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I have no side to stand on this issue. Im just curious why its so difficult to port chrome to osx.

9. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I don't believe Google is porting Chrome to OS X. I think that they are actually rebuilding it from the ground up to work on OS X, just with the same features as the Windows version. But i am not an expert on this.

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

No, they're definitely not doing that. Skia, their WebKit port, V8, etc... are all shared between OSs. It's just a large porting effort. Chrome's multi-process stuff (different from Stainless's) requires a lot of very OS-specific stuff, as does sandboxing, and of course all the UI parts need to have Cocoa versions written.