Chrome/Google? What is their problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

It's one thing that Google have made it impossible to view their search page in Safari 5.1.10, and I haven't been able to view the current Google search engine or pictures for several months, but have now been forced to use Google Chrome, but why are they so averse to me setting a homepage that isn't Google, I save as homepage, and STILL it opens on Google. It's like Google have become the MAFIA of the internet. Horrible company. There was a 100 pages plus thread in their forums about other people in the same boat with SL and the old Safari, who can't/not deemed worthy enough by Google to view their page, unless you have the latest technology, but for them to not allow you to set a homepage of your own choosing, without clicking the homepage, instead of opening in it, is absolutely disgusting.

I just wish they weren't such a household name, because they don't deserve it.
    They completely ignored thousands of users who complained that they still get the old Google and there was no response other than update your browser.

Firefox was an option, but it doesn't work on my banks service.

2. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

What do you want to discuss? Im not sure this belongs on Mac Basics and Help.

But I do agree, Google sucks.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Couple of things. Anyone on SL using old Safari, ever find a way round Google's blocking of their service. I stupidly thought they'd rectify it after all the complaints. Never happened. And why won't the homepage on Chrome set to what we want. It reverts to Google every time used.

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

no idea what you are talking about.
    I use Chrome daily on various OSes, are you sure you set it up correctly and/or that you installed correctly (perhaps broken preference files ?)

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

If I quit Chrome, or have only just switched MBP on, then open it, it opens on the correct homepage, but when I close that window, and then re-open, it always opens on their Google homepage, until restart. It opens on my homepage once, then only if 'quit', instead of just closing it.