Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Browsing the net last night, in one of my Chrome tabs, I came across the site that popped the Chrome user information window, stating 'Stop Using Junk'.

When I tried to close the tab, it would pop up another Chrome user information window with options, 'Leave the page', and 'Stay on this page'. Leave the page did nothing as it was spinning in the loop spawning new processes.

I tired closing down the Chrome, but it would refuse to do it as it would spawn yet another Leave the page window. I tried to power down the MacBook, and I would get the system message stating 'Shutdown canceled by the Chrome' - since shutdown goes through kill process list, but somehow it never got there due to Chromes automatic response.

Finally I stopped the network, I went into terminal and killed about 15 Chrome processes. Uninstalled the Chrome and updated to Mountain Lion thinking this could be better.

Has anyone experienced such an attack?

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Browsing the net last night, in one of my Chrome tabs, I came across the site that popped the Chrome user information window, stating 'Stop Using Junk'.

When I tried to close the tab, it would pop up another Chrome user information window with options, 'Leave the page', and 'Stay on this page'. Leave the page did nothing as it was spinning in the loop spawning new processes.

I tired closing down the Chrome, but it would refuse to do it as it would spawn yet another Leave the page window. I tried to power down the MacBook, and I would get the system message stating 'Shutdown canceled by the Chrome' - since shutdown goes through kill process list, but somehow it never got there due to Chromes automatic response.

Finally I stopped the network, I went into terminal and killed about 15 Chrome processes. Uninstalled the Chrome and updated to Mountain Lion thinking this could be better.

Pretty sure that is not a hack, instead it's a stuck process and Chrome simply behaving badly. If you force quit Chrome it should've been fine. For future reference:

Right click on the app in the Dock. Hold Option and click Force Quit.

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Pretty sure that is not a hack, instead it's a stuck process and Chrome simply behaving badly. If you force quit Chrome it should've been fine. For future reference:

Right click on the app in the Dock. Hold Option and click Force Quit.

Yes I tried that - but no, I couldn't kill it from the GUI no matter what I tried.
As I said, I even tried to shut down, but it would come as 'Shutdown Cancelled by Chrome', I had to go into the terminal and ps-ef Chrome processes, then kill -9.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Yes I tried that - but no, I couldn't kill it from the GUI no matter what I tried.
As I said, I even tried to shut down, but it would come as 'Shutdown Cancelled by Chrome', I had to go into the terminal and ps-ef Chrome processes, then kill -9.

Still not a hack. Crap happens. kill -9 pid is the same as a Force Quit

Can you recreate the issue by going back to the site?

If so, contact Google via their support forum. They may be interested in checking it out

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA

what was the site? Almost sounds more like Chrome behaving poorly rather than malware. Chrome's pretty disappointing on mac

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
what was the site? Almost sounds more like Chrome behaving poorly rather than malware. Chrome's pretty disappointing on mac

Ya, this is my take on things as well.

Each Chrome process is sandboxed, so it was probably just a runaway process that bugged out the main application.

It happens. But if you can recreate it, that would help in getting it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.