Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I've used Chrome on macOS since it first came out, but over the years it's gotten slower and slower. A huge issue is that any page with heavy scripting takes forever to load.

Ironically what prompted me to write this post is that it's unusable on Google Compute Cloud's website. It takes 20-30 seconds to load the page if it loads at all. FireFox loads in several seconds.

I've tried uninstalling extensions and incognito mode which helps some but it's still not nearly as fast as FireFox.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of sluggishness with Chrome? What browser do you use?

Safari is definitely the fastest but the lack of support for general plugins is a hinderance for me.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I ran JetStream2 benchmarking suite on Chrome, FireFox, and Safari. Chrome finished at 118, FireFox - 98, and Safari at 148. I was surprised by this result.

I think the issue with Chrome might not be that it's slow, it's that it has a nasty tendency to hang while loading webpages.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I'm curious why macOS users don't use Safari. Seems quicker and more energy efficient to me. I haven't had any compatibility issues (except for trying to play 4K videos on YouTube).

I have Chrome, FireFox and the new Edge on my systems. Just haven't found a reason to use them.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm curious why macOS users don't use Safari. Seems quicker and more energy efficient to me. I haven't had any compatibility issues (except for trying to play 4K videos on YouTube).

I have Chrome, FireFox and the new Edge on my systems. Just haven't found a reason to use them.
Safari is a nice basic browser but falls short for some intermediate and advanced needs.

Regarding slowdowns in Chrome, if the OP is using an adblocker, particularly AdBlock Plus, consider switching to something else. I was a longtime user of ABP and switched to a leaner blocker and that improved things quite a bit.

Last edited:

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Try Brave it supports all Chrome extensions syncs well to its mobile apps and you can even tip Macrumors BAT now. In my own battery life testing it beats Safari and Firefox and loads pages faster than either.
[automerge]1587752836[/automerge]
Safari is a nice basic browser but falls short for some intermediate and advanced needs.

Regarding slowdowns in Chrome, if the OP is using an adblocker, particularly AdBlock Plus, consider switching to something else. I was a longtime user of ABP and switched to a leaner blocker and that improved things quite a bit.
Google is making it harder to efficently block ads via a single extension Ublock Orgin attempts to get around the block by making you install a second extension to block all the content but I found Brave to be simpler its built in adblocker is based on Ublock before version 77 so its way more resource efficient.

Reactions: sracer

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Do you not use any extensions? There are so many useful ones that simply aren't available on Safari in any form.

Reactions: Airforcekid

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Try Brave it supports all Chrome extensions syncs well to its mobile apps and you can even tip Macrumors BAT now. In my own battery life testing it beats Safari and Firefox and loads pages faster than either.
[automerge]1587752836[/automerge]

Google is making it harder to efficently block ads via a single extension Ublock Orgin attempts to get around the block by making you install a second extension to block all the content but I found Brave to be simpler its built in adblocker is based on Ublock before version 77 so its way more resource efficient.
thumpsup.gif

I'm a big fan of Brave and use it on my Windows systems, but the lack of bookmark/history syncing makes it a secondary browser for me.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
THIS.

Will try this, thanks. I also disabled tablecapture & a form filler. They analyze every page I load for their function so they probably have caused some issues.

But more than anything I think the issue isn't necessarily that it's slow, it's that for whatever reason Chrome hangs when loading some sites.
[automerge]1587769359[/automerge]
Try Edge. It's basically Chrome but works sooo much better on MacOS.
Not sure if you're joking or not. But I'll try it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Not sure if you're joking or not. But I'll try it.

I'm not joking, it's honestly a much better experience than Chrome on MacOS. I've tried almost every mainstream browser (Safari, Chrome, Brave, Firefox (stable and nightlies), Opera, and Edge), and I rank Edge on par with Chrome for functionality, and only just behind Safari for efficiency (no excess heat, only slightly higher battery use). I don't know what Microsoft's done to achieve this but Google should take notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.