Chrome interrupts big downloads (PB5)

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Jantelagen, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I've had this problem for a good while, ever since PB2 if I recall correctly. Basically, if I'm downloading a bigger file, say 400MB, from RapidShare/Uploaded/TurboBit, I can never finish the download if I'm using Chrome under Yosemite PB5. Safari also seems to do this but not as often. I've used both Chrome and Chrome Beta, same thing there.

Am I alone in this?

2. sixkiller macrumors member

sixkiller

I haven't had any problems with this, but I am mostly using safari, but when I am using chrome I'm using Chrome Canary. I tried to download a 1GB file in canary just now and i didn't have any problems.

Try to download from this site and see if it works
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

3. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Well, the 200MB file downloaded without any problems. The 1GB file was downloading steadily at 2,3mbit/s but just before finishing it dove down to 0kbp/s and just died. So I'm thinking there's a time limit before the wifi card loses the connection, and if I'm downloading a file quickly enough it may finish. That's probably why my downloads from those sites never finish since they throttle the speed to for example 50kbp/s.

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 17.22.28.png

What I'll try next is erase Chrome, flush my DNS cache, reboot, and reinstall Chrome from the regular channel (on beta now)

4. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Well, that sure as hell didn't work. I'm wondering what could possibly be wrong now. My MacBook Air 2011 didn't have this problem when running Mavericks, that's for sure.

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 17.45.20.png

5. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Now I managed to download a 1,2GB file through a download manager called iGetter. But surely this isn't normal? I tried downloading the same file, from an Amazon S3 server, through Firefox, and it died halfway through as usual.