Chrome is spiking 100% CPU on both iMac and Macbook Pro... annoying!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lit Up*, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Lit Up* macrumors member

So CPU is spiking to 100% whenever I use Chrome on either computer, it happens roughly every 5 - 10 minutes and then the browser becomes unusable for about ten seconds. It interrupts anything I'm doing in the browser, from typing ****, to playing back video etc. I don't think it's got anything to do with flash but could be wrong... I have killed flash via the activity monitor but nothing really happens. Is it a problem with the latest Chrome update? I have about 10 extensions installed but only four active (RES, hoverzoom, live bookmarks, adblock) on each machine. I have previously disabled everything to no avail. Please help :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can disable Chromes internal flash, just read this earlier today, you have to fill out something in the URL bar, "chrome://plugins/" without the quotes, disable the internal flash, relaunch it and see if it works better.

3. Lit Up* thread starter macrumors member

OK I've done that. Not sure that it will make a difference though as I usually just kill flash in the activity monitor.

4. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Delete AdBlock and see what happens. I use Safari and when I had AdBlock installed Safari appeared to leak memory like crazy. I deleted it and all was fine again. (I never really checked CPU usage, but my iMac would completely freeze once Safari Web Content reached 3.5GB.)

5. Lit Up* thread starter macrumors member

OK but I'm using Chrome, not Safari. Two different browsers. I have disabled flash, nothing happens. Will try adblock.