Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Please for the love of god DO NOT tell me to go into chrome settings > Advanced settings > Language and set it to english. Its the only answer I've been getting from support and forums for over 2 months.

My google chrome keeps returning search results in french. Sometimes they come in french sometimes they dont. They arent french sites. Google just returns my search results in french and then the following websites are french. Sometimes it offers to translate it, sometimes it doesnt.

WTF do i do?! Its not my language settings, nothing else on my computer is french, and its totally random when it returns french results but its been happening more and more.

How the hell do I get everything to come back in english? Without the obvious answers of course, there is something different wrong here.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hey,

First of all it would help if you could post some screenshots of the problem. I think I understand but I am not sure. Now I can think of three reasons (please note the difference between google and chrome. By google I mean the search engine):
  1. Somehow google thinks that your request originates from a french speaking location. One way to verify this assumption is to perform a search from another browser.
  2. In chrome's the URL of google is set to google.fr
  3. In google's settings it is set that you want the language of the results in French. Follow these steps:
  • Perform any search
  • Press the cogwheel and choose the second option (should be languages).
  • At the end of the page you should see the language in which google would return results in
  • (Pardon for not posting screenshots. My chrome is set to Greek and I can't bypass it)

Reactions: sd70mac

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Hey,

First of all it would help if you could post some screenshots of the problem. I think I understand but I am not sure. Now I can think of three reasons (please note the difference between google and chrome. By google I mean the search engine):
  1. Somehow google thinks that your request originates from a french speaking location. One way to verify this assumption is to perform a search from another browser.
  2. In chrome's the URL of google is set to google.fr
  3. In google's settings it is set that you want the language of the results in French. Follow these steps:
  • Perform any search
  • Press the cogwheel and choose the second option (should be languages).
  • At the end of the page you should see the language in which google would return results in
  • (Pardon for not posting screenshots. My chrome is set to Greek and I can't bypass it)

Thanks alot, ill wait until it happens again and then take some screens. Oddly enough its working fine right now and everything is coming back in english. But it still auto translates FROM french. The secondary problem is when google stops auto translating. And it only does that when it feels like so I cant take any pics right now, once it does ill take a few screens and come back. Im sure itll happen before the days over, thanks!

Reactions: sd70mac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.