Chrome + MagSafe + 2014 MBP = No sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Dec 21, 2016.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi all, when you leave Chrome open and have MagSafe connected and close the lid, it doesn't sleep.

Is there a way to fix this? I've submitted to Google but they haven't fixed it yet obviously. They say it's an extension issue, but I've tried disabling all of them, and it's the same problem.

This never happened under El Capitan (even with all the same extensions) but it happens on Sierra.

Note: Can't go back to Safari since I need the dev tools and prefer it overall to Safari.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not a solution tbh.

I have dozens of tabs open at all times -- even if I use Tab Suspender extensions to purge the Ram and "remember last state" option.

It used to work in El Capitan, why doesn't it now?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would assume that a change in the OS (or bug) is causing a problem (or bug) with Chrome.

Did you try putting the mac to sleep via the menu instead of just closing the lid?

What happens if you close the lid with it unplugged and then plug the computer in?

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

1. Did you try putting the mac to sleep via the menu instead of just closing the lid?

Yes, same thing. It stays awake, and if you have messages open you can hear the messages "logon" sound go off and on a few times, which I assume macOS is trying to force to sleep but it can't.

2. What happens if you close the lid with it unplugged and then plug the computer in?

Same.

6. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

Do you have a tab open to Yahoo mail? Close that.

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Nope, do not use Yahoo (only gmail)

Most sites are "unloaded" because I use an extension in Chrome called The Great Suspender which suspends tabs after a minute and unloads it from memory.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try disabling all extensions from Chrome and see if that corrects it. Clearly it seems that Chrome is interfering with the sleep request and not letting it go.