Chrome malware?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by igneousc, Aug 19, 2014.

1. igneousc macrumors regular

I feel like one of my chrome extensions, or something else is causing issues with my chrome. The main issue I'm noticing is that once and a while all of the links on various sites will redirect to ******* ads before going to the end destination. I disabled all my extensions and tried to turn them on one by one, but its happening randomly enough that I can't seem to pinpoint it. Any thoughts? I tried to search but it doesn't seem like a common issue..

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You may have been tricked into installing some adware along with an app you installed.

Try running this adware removal tool and see if that finds anything.

3. igneousc thread starter macrumors regular

yea didn't pick up on anything, thanks though :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try making a new temp admin account on your Mac then login to that account and use Chrome a bit and see if you have the same issue. If you don't, that will tell you it is something about your personal Chrome configuration.

6. igneousc thread starter macrumors regular

ugh I figured out what it was. The hoverzoom extension in chrome is infected with malware. Easy fix

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Glad you figured it out. I wonder how prevalent chrome malware is. I don't use any extensions with my chrome (on the pc) so I think I'm ok. (I use Safari on OS X)