Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
I feel like one of my chrome extensions, or something else is causing issues with my chrome. The main issue I'm noticing is that once and a while all of the links on various sites will redirect to ******* ads before going to the end destination. I disabled all my extensions and tried to turn them on one by one, but its happening randomly enough that I can't seem to pinpoint it. Any thoughts? I tried to search but it doesn't seem like a common issue..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You may have been tricked into installing some adware along with an app you installed.

Try running this adware removal tool and see if that finds anything.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yea didn't pick up on anything, thanks though :)

Try making a new temp admin account on your Mac then login to that account and use Chrome a bit and see if you have the same issue. If you don't, that will tell you it is something about your personal Chrome configuration.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
ugh I figured out what it was. The hoverzoom extension in chrome is infected with malware. Easy fix

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Glad you figured it out. I wonder how prevalent chrome malware is. I don't use any extensions with my chrome (on the pc) so I think I'm ok. (I use Safari on OS X)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.