Chrome on Android is severely lacking in the features department.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by cualexander, Jun 29, 2013.

1. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I'm spoiled by Safari in iOS. Safari has reader mode and reading lists. Chrome does not have a reader mode, which is a major downside in my opinion. I love having the ability to strip out all the ads and other junk and just leave the actual text. Firefox on Android has this feature, but I'd rather use Chrome. Chrome seems to be lacking these basic fundamental features and I think it is holding Android back when it comes to browsing experience compared to iOS. Sure you can install a bookmarklet for readability in Chrome, but that's a clunky solution with the lack of a dedicated bookmark bar that is always showing like in Safari. And Mercury browser in iOS has even more features, in addition to the ability to open links directly in reader mode, thereby skipping the first initial load of the extraneous ads and graphics from the get go. I can't find a browser on Android with that feature.

Google needs to get with the times, in my opinion.

2. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Chrome is simply Chrome.

I prefer sharing all the stuff I want to read to pocket, that way it is available on any of my devices or desktop browsers whenever I use the app.

Find article:
    [​IMG]

Add to pocket via the share menu:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy content in pocket:
    [​IMG]

What I want above all in chrome is extension support. The third party reading solutions work fine as is IMO.

This is omething that isn't as easily possible on iOS because of the severely limited way third party applications can interact and integrate into the OS.

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I prefer Firefox on Android because it has so many more features and is a lot closer to a desktop browser. I just wish the UI wasn't so fugly.

4. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chrome on Android is severely lacking in the features department.

Firefox has problems opening embedded YouTube in full screen mode. iOS doesn't have the share feature for any app, but with the bookmark bar on iPad, one touch on a bookmarklet is actually faster than clicking the menu, then share, then Send to Pocket. Sure it requires a one time setup, but after that it just works.

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The stock android browser is the best in my opinion. In don't know why google didn't include it by default on the nexus 7 and newer. Luckily you can manually install it and all aosp Roms include it already. If your rooted on the stock rom on the play store there is a aosp browser installer app.

6. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I prefer Chrome because of its slick way of handling multiple tabs and switching between them. The lack of that + general share abilities made Safari feel very claustrophobic for me. And whenever I want to open stuff in reader-style mode, it's something that I've saved for later, and then I prefer to access all saved stuff through Pocket where I can also access Youtube vids etc.

For my uses, Safari is clearly the lacking browser. Looks like it'll get some dandy new functionality with iOS 7 though.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Chrome in general doesn't have a lot of features...

8. Elit3 macrumors regular

On Appledrugs, we can actually have unlimited amount of tabs. Chrome easily beats Sh**fari.

9. strausd macrumors 68030

Chrome is also pretty laggy compared to Dolphin and Boat on my Nexus 4.

10. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I think Chrome is very overrated in general, I much prefer more prefer Safari on Mac as well

11. jamojamo macrumors 6502

And there are members on here that say only Apple or iOS fans make statements like this.

Thanks for reminding us both sides have equal share.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Chrome is laggy on everything, fullstop. It never used to be but these days it's awful for performance especially if you keep it open for a few days with a few tabs open. Leave it open for a week and it virtually becomes unusable. Like a good 5 seconds of lag just to switch tabs on a brand new MBP.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Not on Firefox Beta. Huge difference in performance from Firefox and Firefox Beta. I don't even have the regular one installed anymore.

Also you can search around to make sure you have the latest flash plugin.

14. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Chrome doesnt support flash. Android broswer does. I will not even consider opening chrome until it does (likely never)

15. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Same here, hopefully they'll make changes to the UI once they have released their updated desktop UI.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

17. Explicitic macrumors 6502

Everyone needs to get on that damn AOSP browser. It blows everything else out of the water.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I feel the same way. I like the way chrome looks, but it always annoys me b.c the lag.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Today's update brings speed and bug fixes. Again.

Am I the only one not experiencing lag on Chrome (Beta)?

20. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I use Opera Mobile Classic... if you want to see lack of features you should try that :p

The fast and accurate text wrapping on it is amazing though, can't give it up. If Chrome would add text wrapping I'd probably switch.

21. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Oh come on, making up silly names just weakens the point you're trying to make. Don't bother.

22. Elit3 macrumors regular

Okay, I will rephrase, Apple fanboy much, Chrome isn't limited to 8 tabs, unlike sh**ty safari?

23. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Honestly it depends on what you need it for. When I'm in the boonies and I need speed probably just to surf the net, nothing beats Opera mobile at speed. If I want to watch flash content inside a Web page, I turn to aosp browser for that. Anything else, I'll probably use Firefox or xscope. Sometimes I'll even use the stock HTC or Samsung browser if I just want to search up something right quick. I have no defaults set when it comes to browsers.

24. blackhand1001, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah. The stock android browser has text wrapping as well. I still am not sure why google decided to leave it out on the newer nexus phones. Especially since its still in development and has received updates in both 4.1 and 4.2 on the galaxy nexus and in any aosp rom for the new phones as well. Its still much smoother as well. They should rebase mobile chrome on the aosp and port the new JavaScript engine to it.

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

See, I don't really care either. I have native apps for everything I would use a web browser for. And I use Google Now for search.