Chrome on iPhone is terrible.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kashyap02004, Oct 25, 2012.

1. kashyap02004 macrumors member

The chrome app on all the iOS device is terrible. Look at the sunspider javascript performance difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

It's completely Apple's fault. Apple is stifling competition. Apple prevents other browsers from running the same way that Safari does.

3. DJ.Nickk macrumors regular

DJ.Nickk

Apple gives 3rd party dev's an older/scaled back version of Nitrous Java script engine.

Apple doesn't want competition on thier products and i hate it because somtimes i need Chrome and wish i would have the super speed of Safari

4. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

May be right to say that Chrome is inferior compared to safari, mainly because it does not have access to Apple's nitro JavaScript. However, many videos that I saw showed that Chrome loads web pages very quickly on the iPhone 5 as well, sometimes almost as fast as Safari. That's based on what I saw, so I do not know what effect will the additional JavaScript engine provide.

5. kashyap02004, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Most of the videos on the internet are worth nothing. All these bloggers would tell you anything because they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to browsers. They do side by side comparison by opening a website. Where they totally ignore the fact that there are factors like network latency and server response time. Best thing to do is to investigate yourself. Sunspider is the industry standers for the javascript performance. Check it out
    http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html.

Yes javascript performance plays major role in how fast the websites load. Well depending on how much javascript that website uses.

6. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I see. I initially always thought that the side-to-side comparison of Chrome vs Safari will reflect normal day-to-day usage of browsing the web. So, when do the JavaScript engine play a role, when there's a lot of embedded videos or pictures? Curious about it as I'm not that knowledgable about the real purpose of JavaScript rendering.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

eh doesn't really matter to me I use safari on my phone, chrome on my pc.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

The Nitro JS engine uses unsigned code (whatever that means) to improve performance. So for developers to use the engine, Apple would have to allow them to use unsigned code which they obviously don't want. I guess it's a security issue.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't care what the benchmarks say, Chrome works well for me. Speed is on par with Safari and I like the interface better.

10. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't really find much of a difference in terms of speed, and the swipe to next/previous tab is pretty handy. Only gripe is that it seems to run out of memory pretty quickly (pages reload far more frequently compared to Safari), and with ios6, I like safari’s reading list and full screen browsing features more, enough to make me move over to safari on my Mac for cloud tabs. :)

12. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

Chrome works for me, i like the syncing with all the computers as i have different bookmarks on every computer I use. It works perfect for me.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The performance is worth it to not have to put up with Safari's UI which seems to be stuck in 2007.

In reality, I don't think many people are using web sites through a mobile web browser that actually take advantage of the JavaScript performance improvements that the Nitro engine has.

Most of the latency on phones is down to the network.

14. msaftw macrumors member

Chrome is more than enough for me at least on the iPhone 5. The main reason I'm using it is because it allows way more tabs to be open than safari's measly 8.

15. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. I love all the sync features. The reason why I care about this issue so much is because of this. The chrome is undoubtedly the best browser. So I use it on my mac laptop, on my pc. But the sad thing is that It is not as good on iPhone and iPad.

16. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Web pages are made up of html and css. However HTML and CSS are markup languages. They can't do computation or manipulations on their own. Well css does do some computation to calculate the box spaces and margins but it is not a functional language like javasript. So if your page is populated dynamically using javascript, it becomes extremely important. Let me give you an example of websites where javascript is must. Google Maps, Google docs, Pandora, linkedin, Yahoo mail, Gmail, Facebook (especially the chatting feature is done by javascript) and many more. Websites like Google maps and Google docs therefore are not really "websites". They are essentially javascript web apps running on your browser. Most of the mobile version of the websites these days are rendered using javascript. For example wallmart's mobile website heavily uses javascript.

17. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

----------

[/COLOR]
    Thanks for the clarification! Before this, I don't know nuts about anything like that. If this is the case, I guess Safari really has the upper hand unless Google updates Chrome or something, although I really doubt if Chrome will ever be on par with Safari on iOS. Apple won't allow that to happen, I think.

18. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

Apple has already let that happen:apple: