Chrome on Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by WhackyNinja, Oct 26, 2013.

1. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I'm using Safari because I heard Chrome can cause Mavericks to lag or something. I'm just wanting feedback from everyone here.

How is Chrome running on Mavericks so far?

Thank you for your responses :)

2. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I'm not especially pleased. But, I'm sure that things will get better.

One problem that I've encountered relates to the icons (on the tool bar) for some of my extensions. When I touch the icon, such as 1Password, instead of getting an entire "window" for that extension appearing.... I get only about 10% of it popping up. So, I have to click it again.

I'm also getting some problems in YouTube. But, that could just be Google messing with YouTube again. I'm getting rather tired of their tweaks. Now, a video's sound keeps playing EVEN THOUGH I've moved to another screen within YouTube. It is as if they think I want to keep listening to the last video (the audio only) UNTIL I start playing the next video. How annoying. I have to go "back" and stop the video in order for the audio to quit.

Overall it seems to have some increased slowness or lag. Of course, I still get the temporary freezing within Chrome. You know... when you click on "bookmarks" (or something else) and Chrome freezes up for about 2 seconds. It also happens at other times, not just related to bookmarks.

Is Safari working out well? I moved away from Safari a long time ago because it was hogging SO much of my RAM.

3. WhackyNinja thread starter macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Last night I switched from Safari to Firefox (next best thing from Chrome). Safari is improved...just slightly. It still lags me a lot, and Firefox is so much faster.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Chrome works great for me.

mrtravel123, is it possible the issue is with the plugin and not Chrome itself?

5. Mr. McMac, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I having a glitch with 2 of my Chrome extensions, Google Voice and Lastpass. Sometimes when I click on the google voice icon, it closes Chrome. When I reopen Chrome, I'm on my google voice page where I should have been.
    When I click on the lastpass icon, it opens a small blank window where my log on information should be. This happens about 50% of the time.
    This never happened with Mountain lion.

Lastpass in Chrome issue

Attached Files:

6. eminemead macrumors newbie

Chrome works as good as on ML.
    I don't see a performance boost from safari 7 despite the fact that
    all the benchmarks comparison we see. I guess it's hard to see that difference
    from our day-to-day use.

But the reason i switch back to Safari is pretty easy: power management.

I can see significant battery improvement using safari over chrome.

Just my $0.02.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I was a huge Chrome user under Lion but now I have switched most of my browsing back to Safari. I find it somewhat faster than Chrome.

Under Mavs, Chrome has some issues for me wrt Flash. I always have at least one renderer not responding. I still use it for the auto translate which would be nice in Safari (is there an extension? I can only find one that has a button).

8. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

They've fixed the processes showing as 'not responding' in Canary, not sure about any other builds.

Chrome has been running fine for me since DP1 and still runs fine on the GM.

9. mrtravel123, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

mrtravel123 macrumors regular

It happens to me with different extensions, not just 1Password. I've also noticed it with The Camelizer (Amazon price histories).... and I think Ghostery.

See post #5 (above) by Mr. McMac. That's almost exactly what I get / see. His attached imagine is very close to what I see.

The problem isn't constant. Just occasional.

In regards to the overall freezing / pausing with Chrome.... that's been something I've experienced for MONTHS. I get those 2 - 3 second freezes / pauses quite frequently, especially when bookmarking something (and trying to type the bookmark's description).

----------

I get that same problem... but with other extensions.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I just noticed the same problem with some of my other extensions as well..

11. ElliottG macrumors member

Instead of asking why don't you just download it and make up your mind for yourself? Lmao people on this forum are funny...

It's not going to destroy your computer or something...I use it everyday and it's a great browser.

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Chrome is working great for me, granted I don't run any extensions which seem problematic in previous posts.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Chrome works as well for me under Mavericks as it did under ML. Still have the issue regarding Java, but that won't be fixed until Chrome gets a 64 bit version (or incorporates their own Java, either of which I would be happy with as I need it for work).

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

Chrome works great on my iPhone. Will have to try on mavericks later.