Chrome on older operating systems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laptoplover2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. laptoplover2 macrumors member

Chrome/Chromium is compatible with 10.6 Snow Leopard right now as the minimum and goes all the way up to the latest so far. But it's not compatible with Leopard. Out of curiosity, do you think that it would be possible for me to take the open-source code of Chromim and port it over somehow to an older version of OS X such as Leopard? Or take the Linux version of it and port the source code over to OS X since it's possible to run UNIX apps over OS X like Cinelerra?

If it's possible do you think it would be worth the time to get Chrome/Chromium (very similar, hard to tell the difference) ported over to like Leopard and even PowerPC Macs with Leopard using my older MacBook and share the app?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

The answer depends on your programming skills. Which you haven't described.

If you have the skills, then I don't see why you'd ask. You'd just do the port.

If you lack the skills, then the answer is equally obvious.

If you're unsure whether you have the skills or not, the most direct way to get an answer is by attempting the port.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Have you ever tried to port software?
    This is not a trivial exercise.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

New versions of apps are likely to use new features in operating systems which are lacking in earlier versions of the OS.
    It is generally wise to keep your OS and software reasonably contemporaneous. If you're using an old OS, then you should use the old version of software that is compatible with that version.
    The alternative is to upgrade your hardware and OS to accommodate the new software.