Chrome opens when I type a URL in Safari...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dark Goob, May 16, 2012.

1. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Every time I type a URL into Safari, Google Chrome opens. Anyone know what might have caused this? There are other users of this machine, though nobody says they changed anything.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That's pretty funny. Go ahead and run Chrome, then pick preferences. Scroll down to the bottom and take a look at default browser. Does it say "Chrome is already your default browser?" If so, I'm sure you can go in Safari preferences and switch it back. Though I have no idea why anyone on a Mac would make Safari their default browser. It's almost as bad as making IE your default browser on that other OS. :D But if that what you want to do, as long as you have your OS and Safari updated then go for it.

3. Dark Goob thread starter macrumors regular

Dark Goob

I guess I don't particularly like the idea of Google being sent everything I type into my address bar.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Not an issue for me as long as I can turn off "filtered" search results and see what everybody else sees. The last thing I need is my own private internet where search results look different to me than they look to somebody I'm collaborating with. That personalized search result thing can be a nuisance because pages that would get ranked 30th for the rest of mankind are top hits for me because I've typed them in my url bar once or twice.

5. Bear macrumors G3

This sounds like yet another reason to avoid Chrome.