Chrome OS and OSX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeepman88, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jeepman88 macrumors member

So I'm going to be in the market for a new main device soon. My initial thought was 13" MBA or MBP. But I've been reading some about the Google Chromebook and am wondering if there isn't a better setup. Without going into too much detail about daily tasks, what you use your computer for, etc... In your opinion, is it possible for Chrome OS and OSX to co-exist. So have an iMac as a main and a chromebook as my portable? TIA

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

A chromebook is like having a tablet ipad, surface or android tablets!

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think as long as you are committed to using Google products like GMail and Google Calendar, Contacts, and Documents you could pretty easily jump back and forth between the two.

4. Jeepman88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses

Does anyone have experience with a Chromebook and Chrome OS? Limitations? Advantages?

5. mbmobile macrumors member

It doesn't have 3G so either you are on WiFi or you are lost.

Good idea, bad execution.

6. mbmobile macrumors member

7. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I see no reason why they couldnt co - exist, as long as you only rely on Google services and the Internet.

8. JerryFn macrumors newbie

You can always tether to your phone.

But the Chromebook looks awesome for the price. I spend most of my time on my big Imac on Chrome. It does all the notifications and has the apps I use. (Including Ad Blocker!) I'm looking for a second handy screen and I am very tempted by a Nexus.
    It's the USB and SD slots I want, not the dreadful locked system.
    Still I'll wait to see the Ipad mini. But it will have to be good (and reasonably priced). Watch out Apple! they are behind you!

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My advice is to look through the Chrome Web Store. Particularly the Offline apps collection. Otherwise you're carrying around a paperweight without internet access.

My Android phone with Google service works fine with my MBP. You just add the Google account in the System Preferences.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

Another option, less appealing to many but perfect for some is to install Ubuntu on the Chromebook. You get a great budget friendly portable without the limitations of Chrome OS. Ubuntu is really easy to use and similar to OSX in many ways. But this is not for everyone.