Chrome user giving Safari 5.1 a try . . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by curtisinoc, Jul 21, 2011.

1. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Just downloaded Lion and so far so good !! I'm a huge fan of Chrome and I want to try Safari (5.1 in Lion seems pretty slick).

The thing I miss most about Chrome is the ability to sync bookmarks automatically between 2 or more computers. Does Safari 5.1 have an extension or a setting that will let me do this? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

2. kalafalas macrumors regular

Right now the only way you can do this is with MobileMe, but when iCloud goes live it will be free, along with a whole bunch of other awesome syncing services

3. mark2741 macrumors newbie

YOU CAN share bookmarks. I use an extension called "Xmarks" -
    http://www.xmarks.com/

They've been around for years and are trustworthy. Best thing about it is it is cross-browser so you can switch to different browsers anytime you want and retain your bookmarks.

I'm in similar situation as you - just bought a 13" MBP this past weekend.
    Been using Chrome exclusively on my Windows machines for the past year or so, so I immediately started using it on the Mac when I got it. Last night, I started up Safari and it seemed a bit snappier. Safari used to stink (no offense to long-timer Mac people) simply because webkit wasn't supported by many websites. But now it's no longer an issue I'm guessing. So far so good.

4. curtisinoc thread starter macrumors 6502

icloud will be sweet

5. kalafalas macrumors regular

Also, to smooth the switch, you can bring the only feature of chrome i liked better anyway over to safari: and have it be better implemented

https://github.com/rs/SafariOmnibar

(hint, after installation, put focus on the bar (cmd + L) right click, and click "edit omnibus search providers" its awesome)

6. mark2741 macrumors newbie

Thanks - yeah that is the one thing I haven't gotten used to yet. I keep typing in search phrases directly into the URL field : (

One other thing I still have to get used to in Safari is there is no clickable way to get a new tab. Instead, I have to type in the URL in the URL bar (or search phrase in search field) and then hold down the command and shift keys and hit enter. Kind of a pain. Would rather just click to open up a new tab.

I know you can double-click if there are more than two tabs open already but that does me no good if only one is open. But...I'll get used to it.

The one thing I'm not liking so far is it seems that fonts are rendered fuzzier in Safari than in Chrome.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I found an extension that may make your Safari life easier: It's called Duplicate Tab Button. Find it in the Productivity section, here: Safari Extensions

8. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

I just made the switch too (in anticipation of IOS 5, and it's idevice integration)

Me personally am not a picky web-surfer, don't have too many bookmarks. So it's not too bad right now, a couple things are different (you mentioned chrome being able to type whatever in the main bar, and it searches google), instead now you have to type in the bar beside it.

Other issues aren't a big deal, but I was spoiled with chrome it will just take some getting used to to fully make the switch

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can have Safari always show the tab bar. Open a new window, show the Tab Bar (Cmd-Shift-T or View -> Show Tab Bar), then close the window. All new windows will have the tab bar showing by default. You then have the new tab button over to the right.

jW

10. Fugue macrumors 6502

I don't use Safari mostly due to one minor quirk I have with it. When opening a new tab, the panel enlarges ever so slightly. This is beyond annoying for me.

Other reasons I use Chrome are for its speed, UI is better looking and customization is available, and extensions are far superb to Safari.

11. kalafalas macrumors regular

(with one tab open) view > show tab bar

12. kalafalas, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

kalafalas macrumors regular

Because both browsers are webkit, they have the exact same exertion base, and like 99% of the devs write there extensions for both because of how easy it is to transfer. As for customization, yes chrome is better, but I'm one one those purists - keep is flush everything the same so i don't like customizing, but thats just a personal thing.

also, whoever said chrome is faster is a fat lie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNvjtQrjeM

13. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I've never liked any implementation of Safari and although I currently prefer Chrome, I find myself hoping 5.1 would be better but it continues to disappoint. I wouldn't mind if Safari wasn't so darn slow and I still have issues with some pages not loading completely and/or correctly.

I also can't seem to shake the thought that Safari's just a wannabe Chrome where only now decided to copy Chrome with it's own implementation of sandboxing. Apple's quite slow to implement updates/changes towards Safari whereas Chrome's very actively updated, which partly explains why it's superior in terms of HTML5 support.