Chrome Users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smc333, May 25, 2011.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Am I the only one that thinks Chrome is much faster than Safari? I'd prefer to use Safari since it fits in more UI wise, but Chrome is just so much faster to me on my 2010 i5/8GBRAM. I just recently formatted and it persists, Safari is fast, but Chrome is much faster.

I tried changing the rendering delay for Safari, but that made some webpages render oddly.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have switched to Chrome as well
    Seems to be less of a memory hog for me at least

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Safari used to be fast for me, but about a year or so ago it started running really slow. Rather than troubleshoot Safari, I decided just to switch and try Chrome, and I haven't gone back yet.

jW

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Chrome feels faster for me too. RAM usage seems to be less and I also find it to be less buggy (not as many crashes). Seems to be updated more frequently than Safari as well. Syncing through a Google account is crucial for me as I have 2 Macs and Safari does not offer that.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Chrome spanks almost everything else for speed, but I still need to use the other big 'uns for web stuff. If I didn't, I'd exclusively use Chrome, their developer panel is a cracking wee feature.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Chrome is my browser of choice. It's the fastest, most stable browser, and I like the simple UI over Firefox and Safari's.

7. peanuthead macrumors member

Another vote for Chrome here. Fast and trouble free. I also love the fact that all of my favorites are synced across various computers (both PC and mac).

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

No, it’s documented to be faster than Safari (5). The problem is that Apple doesn’t update Safari as fast as Google does and it is likely that Safari 6 will be much faster.

Latest reports mentions that Safari 5.1 on Lion uses the webkit2 engine, which will make it more stable by separating each tab into a separate process but it is likely to use up more RAM as well. As for the speed, devs said it is faster but how fast is undetermined since it’s not done yet and the optimizations are still yet to come.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I do not like Chrome on Mac OS X at all. I think the Mac port was poorly thought out, maybe because it's a port... in fact, I can level the exact same complaint against Safari for Windows, too. It's tough to make a web browser that makes everyone happy - there are so many user preferences and design decisions that must be made.

10. gloryunited macrumors 6502

I use Chrome too because I feel that to be faster than anything.

However, when viewing youtube videos (with HTML5) my MBA still gets very hot (75-80 degrees) and VERY OFTEN I get the "Aw Snap!" error and have to reload the page...

11. Mantasis macrumors member

I can't even run firefox without it completely slowing down my machine, which is mind boggling to me cause this is the 2nd machine this has happened to me on. I've used firefox on a friend's imac and he can run 20+ tabs and no slowdown.... So I stick with chrome.

12. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love Chrome's speed and streamlined UI. Does everything I want in a browser.