Chrome vs Firefox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hoosierxhoosier, Jun 5, 2011.

1. hoosierxhoosier macrumors newbie

I prefer Chrome, as it is much faster than Firefox, has add-ons, and has a much superior full screen mode.

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Firefox is awesome but Chrome is the best.
    Just disable the crappy default PDF reader plugin and enable Adobe's and all set.

3. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I still use safari but chrome as pretty much taken over in the browser wars. It's just that good.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I am using Chrome 11.0.696.71 and totally love it. [​IMG]

It's very fast starting, and it renders even complex web pages very quickly. And it probably has the highest level of HTML 5.0 compatibility of any browser out there right now (293 according to HTML5Test.com, far exceeding Firefox 4.0.1's 255 and Opera 11's 258).

5. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Hmm apple claims they own the HTML5 compatibility in the browser space.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Firefox was my browser of choice up until about a year ago. I now use Chrome. I find it much faster than Firefox, plus it's more stable, and I like the simple UI better..

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm using Firefox 6.0a2 and I love it. It's fast, all my extensions work and it's surprisingly stable for an alpha version (since may 26th: 0 crashes). I've used Firefox sin version 2 IIRC, I've tried Chrome for about a month but still didn't like it.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Oddly, the UI is exactly why I don't use Chrome. I can't stand it or the new UI for Firefox 4.0.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

To each his own I guess. We are in agreement on Firefox 4.0 though. I hate it! It's the beachball king, especially on my 07' mini.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I prefer Firefox. It has many add-ons that I find useful that are not available on Chrome, and, Firefox is 64-bits. But, I use Chrome and Safari, also.

- Firefox for main browsing, keeping all those tabs open.

- Chrome for anything that have to enable Flash on. I hate Flash, but, I trust Chromes built-in Flash player more than the alternatives.

- Safari when I visit Apple's website, because it seems to work better.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I switch over to Chrome from Firefox about a year ago. I was a Firefox user dating back to the beta 0.9 days and converted multiple people over to it over the year including my parents.

For windows I go Chrome, FF, and IE in that order. Safari is very far down on that list and I only use it for one site because they have issues decteting what browser I am running and they complain.

On OSX it goes Chrome then FF. Safari is again WAY WAY down on the list and only if I have too. If you can not tell I really hate Safari.

12. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

A poll would have been useful.
    I use Chrome both on my MBP and PC

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Chrome works great for me, works even better with a few add-ons like AdBlock, Flashblock, Vanilla Cookie manager, YouTube quality select, etc.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've been a Safari user forever, but I'm about to ditch it, probably for Chrome. To someone above who said Firefox is the beachball king? Oh, hell no. At least on my laptop, Safari beachballs on almost every single operation. Open a new page? Watch the beachball for 5 seconds. Print? Watch the beachball for 30 seconds. Scroll in Google maps? Beachball for about 2 seconds. All the while, the hard drive is spinning like crazy. I've reset it on numerous occasions...no help.

I know something is obviously wrong (and things are starting to show in most apps now...so it's almost re-install time). I just need to take the time to switch all of my bookmarks and other stuff over. What I find interesting, however, is that Google Maps on Safari looks much better than Chrome (Chrome just renders text badly), and Safari has a region magnification icon, whereas Chrome does not...weird.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I use Chrome and Safari on the Mac side. Never liked Firefox - too slow.

On the Windows side, I use Chrome.

17. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Chrome on Mac and PC.. It simply is the best.

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, this is why I don't use Safari. Firefox 3.6 hasn't caused many beachball issues with my Mini, but it is a serious memory hog. Right now, with only three tabs open, it is using 275MB of memory. The longer I leave the Firefox session open, the worse it gets. I have had some sessions go well over 500MB. I keep using it because I don't really like any of the other browsers.

19. acunit86 macrumors member

I've used firefox for ages, but FF 4 on my MBP slows everything down horribly...even with only 5 or 6 tabs open. I've recently downloaded chrome, but I really miss the three finger swipe up and down to go to the top or bottom of a page. Is there any way to implement this functionality that's found in FF into Chrome? This would seal the deal for chrome > FF for me.

20. fructose macrumors newbie

I personally find Chrome the easiest to use out of the browsers I have.
    But I will occasionally use Safari.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I haven't used Chrome since the beta. It was fast, but the UI was awful and it hogged a lot of memory. I take it they've polished up the UI. I've got to give it another go. I loved that I never beachballed in Chrome.:cool:

22. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Sadly all too true for me too. Mine still does alright immediately after opening it, but add more than a couple tabs or try to load 2 sites with pictures at the same time, and boy, you're out of luck. I always assumed it was safari being buggy, though, not my computer :confused:

23. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Chrome's extensions have nothing on firefox

24. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with Chrome on Mac, because I consistently get "waiting for... domainname" on the status bar, which lasts a long time (5-30 seconds+) and I can just refresh a few times, and eventually it loads immediately. All the while similar pages load nearly instantaneously as well.