Chrome vs Safari Ideas

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by EnzoAmata, Jun 29, 2012.

1. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

After the recent release of Chrome for iOS, it seems like Google have just taken the lead in minimalism when it comes to the browser layout - here is an example of what Safari could look like if Apple borrowed some ideas from Google.

No forward or back buttons here, you swipe edge to edge to navigate back and forth. I might be making a few updates to this idea by adding a cloud button and a menu button.

Safari Image Idea

2. sulliweb, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

I just hope they give us the option to change the default browser.

Edit:
    **If you saw anything else I posted, ie - criticism of Apple's policy, ignore it. It wasn't intended as a bash on Apple, just a simple fact, but regardless, I really don't want to get involved in all the fanboy drama on here.** :rolleyes:

3. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I too hope apple opens up this policy and at least gives users the choice.

4. Chrisg2014 macrumors regular

I don't think I'll be using safari anymore on my iPhone, just like I did on my Mac. I like Chrome a lot more, It just the look and it really is the speed. Except, on the iPhone it's a little sluggish, but it was just released. Also, it looks simpler, I'm not saying that safari doesn't it just Chrome has a nice looks and cleaner feel.

5. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Unfortunately chrome will never be able to compete until apple levels the playing field. Chrome is being forced to use the built in WebKit to render pages plus it has to use an older version of the JavaScript engine as apple don't allow access to the latest one. Couple this with the fact you can't set chrome to be the default browser (unless using jailbreak) means that even though you don't want to use it, apps that call up the browser will go automatically to safari.

6. Azadre macrumors 6502

Chrome is Webkit natively, to be fair.

7. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I will use Safari on my iPhone & iPad. I will probablly remove Chrome on my PC when I upgrade the OS to Windows 8 this fall. Chrome is a very nice browser but it compromises personal privacy too much. :eek:

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes but they have their own javascript engine and i'm sure that they've made their own tweaks to webkit to suit their needs so there actually probably is quite a difference between desktop safari and chrome whereas on iOS chrome is forced to use safari's web rendering without the javascripting that they would prefer to have customized for sure.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Jailbreak already.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Are you guys actually using Chrome on iOS. While I like the layout it feels all around Google and it's beta ***** they always put out. Zooming in and put is a freaking nightmare. :(

11. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I downloaded it twice and it locked up every time. Not on there anymore...I'll stick with Safari for now.

12. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

chrome is not even a decent 3rd party browser on ios. Icab is better but since it is google it is magic

13. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Yup, I use it. It syncs my tabs over, single search/address bar and looks nicer :)