Chrome vs Safari (in terms of speed)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Blakeasd, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Would anyone be willing to comment on the speed differences between Safari and Chrome. I'm using Safari currently as my main browser in Mountain Lion because I find the interface to be nicer and scrolling is way smoother (at least in my experiences). I do however wish that Safari was as fast as the Chrome dev build (or even the Chrome stable build), which I use on occasion. Is Safari faster in terms of loading pages, web elements, javascript, etc. ?

2. Lukeit macrumors regular

Sorry if I don't exactly reply to your query... but as far as speed is concerned, you should try the new Opera browser that got out just yesterday... on Mavericks it's a beauty and it's really ultra fast and with a tiny RAM impact!

Since yesterday it's my default browser!

3. JackZen macrumors newbie

you can try the webkit nightly builds based on safari, it's a little faster than safari itself. BTW, chrome is fast on OSX, but cost more energy, so it's better to use safari.

webkit link : http://nightly.webkit.org

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

They may have officially released Opera 15 but it's still pretty much an Alpha build. So much functionality is missing there's no way you should be recommending it to anyone.

Opera have promised to sort things out with v16 & v17 ( :rolleyes: )

5. Bear macrumors G3

And the latest Firefox is also much faster.

I suspect that we'll see the browsers all jockeying for the top position speed wise. At thios point, they're all rather fast. I'll stick to one because it doens't make sense to keep changing which broswer every time one of them is updated.

I will note that right now only Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer are listed as compatible with the iWork iCloud beta.

6. Lukeit macrumors regular

We are in tech forum and specifically we are into the section dedicated to a BETA release of an OS supposedly available to developers only and I shouldn't be recommending to TRY another app beta release? Quite funny!

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I wonder if Apple will release Safari as a stand alone update before 10.9 releases the way it did with (I think) 6.0.2?

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Chrome is the better one. Can't believe somebody actually recommended Opera. It was my default browser for years, but versions 10 and 11 were simply appalling, so much that I had to to ditch it.

Been using Chrome ever since.

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Supposedly, Opera 12 is SUPER fast.. I wouldn't know because I refuse to even try it until it works with 1Password. 1Password is my single most important OS X app. I refuse to use any browser it doesn't work with.

10. Bear macrumors G3

For Lion and Mountain Lion, you will get Safari 6.1. This has at least some of the new features that Mavericks' Safari has.

11. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Chrome sucks, horrible UI and crap scrolling / zooming. Also loads a lot slower.

12. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

How about you try both and decide for your self.

Every single reply here is going to be 100% biased toward the browser that the replier is using.

13. Lukeit macrumors regular

Infact, my mate, I have suggested Opera 15 which has glitches for sure, but is way faster and lighter than any other current browser, let alone the old Opera versions like 11 and 12 (which I have tried and immediately uninstalled!)
    The amazing thing in Opera 15 is the RAM usage.... MINIMAL!
    I think you should at least try before you commit to comment.

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I used Opera since version 4 back in 2000. I don't think i can be accused of not committing to it. Unfortunately, the software turned to ****, and hell, i put up with it for a while before seeking an alternative.

It might be better now, no idea. Don't care. Chrome has all my bookmarks and passwords and is perfect for my needs.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Subjective use, no benchmark - both are "fast enough".

I much prefer the safari UI, safari is already installed and will be updated whether I use it or not as part of the OS updates.

Chrome is just more bandwidth to download updates and another potential security issue that I don't need.

16. Blakeasd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Though this thread was originally geared towards the browsers in Mavericks (which I don't own) it was an interesting read. Curious about how Opera's come along since the last time I used it, I downloaded Opera 15. I'm the most picky person when it comes to browsers and Opera 15 (Opera Next) blew me away. It was faster than the Chrome Dev Build and the UI was just as smooth as Safari. Long story short -- I'm using Opera 15 as my main browser now.

I high recommend giving Opera Next a chance, it has come a LONG way since the Opera I used in 2009.

17. MikhailT macrumors 601

You guys do understand that Opera 15 is now based on Blink, same rendering engine as Chrome now? That's why it is the biggest upgrade of Opera in years.

18. Blakeasd thread starter macrumors 6502a

At this point in time Opera 15 is based upon WebKit. However, a transition to Blink is in the future.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Blink came in Chromium 28.

Opera 15 is right now based on Chromium 28.

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

21. Blakeasd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that it was WebKit based, but the source code doesn't lie. That aside, the implementation of Blink as done by Opera software is far smoother than what Google has done -- at least thus far.

22. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Opera Next

There are 2 versions of Opera 15:
    - Opera 15 --> same engine with prev version
    - Opera Next 15 --> use Blink / Chromium engine

I use Opera Next 15, and it really fast and stable. Only, the features is still limited, but sufficient for lite browsing.

23. Lukeit macrumors regular

Actually Opera Next is outdated and the version of Opera 15 that you can download from opera.com is newer than Opera Next.
    Opera 15 is also based on Chromium

24. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I don't know about this. I saw there are two versions, both were released on June, but never compare them.

25. SlCKB0Y, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

And yet amazingly most other browsers are ripping off the minimalist interface they introduced years ago?

Which benchmarks are you referring to? Do the millisecond differences between the major browsers take that much time out of your busy schedule?