Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
On my iPad Air 2 I notice that Chrome seems to do a much better job of keeping a website in memory so when scrolling down its not having to reload compared to Safari. Not saying Safari is bad but Chrome does a better job in my opinion. Anyone else find this?

jarodlee88

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2016
To be honest, no. Chrome on iOS has been a let down for me. The amount of crashes and issues I had with it. Also, with Safari's content blocker, I feel that Safari is better than Chrome. But that's also because I rely on Apple's ecosystem.

Reactions: M. Gustave

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I use Chrome as my main browser on all my devices; iOS, Windows, and Android. I find it to be the best multi-platform browser. Other than being a bit of a resource hog, I've never had any performance issues with it.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
To be honest, no. Chrome on iOS has been a let down for me. The amount of crashes and issues I had with it. Also, with Safari's content blocker, I feel that Safari is better than Chrome. But that's also because I rely on Apple's ecosystem.

I will agree with you on that for sure. I've had more stability issues with Chrome than Safari. Not a terrible amount but Safari is more reliable in my opinion.

Reactions: jarodlee88

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
On my iPad and iPhone the scrolling is MUCH smoother on Chrome than Safari.Safari seems to use inertia scrolling which makes it feel laggy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On my iPad and iPhone the scrolling is MUCH smoother on Chrome than Safari.Safari seems to use inertia scrolling which makes it feel laggy
Actually it seems it would be the other way around where Safari doesn't use inertia scrolling (at least not on the iPhone) while Chrome does.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I'm having a terrible time with Safari this morning. Websites are brutally slow to load and some are even timing out. Trying a number of sites and getting similar performance. I've "closed" Safari and relaunched it. I've turned WiFi off and back on.

We do have high speed Internet and it is not normally a problem. This is a change in behaviour but I can't pinpoint the cause.

Guess I should add that I'm on iOS 9.(whatever latest release number is) on an IPP 12.9

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I prefer chrome over safari simply because it seems much smoother on both phone and air2. Safari seems slow IMO.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
On my iPad Air 2 I notice that Chrome seems to do a much better job of keeping a website in memory so when scrolling down its not having to reload compared to Safari. Not saying Safari is bad but Chrome does a better job in my opinion. Anyone else find this?

No. I gave Chrome about a dozen chances, version after version crashed constantly on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air. That, and the lack of adblocking are dealbreakers.

Google can't seem to get their act together, especially if this lack of attention to their iOS apps is some kind of misguided business move.

Reactions: jarodlee88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.