Chrome won't open up on my MBP anymore??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SurferMan, Sep 8, 2011.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Restarted my computer and go to open Chrome (had just been using it fine earlier), it won't even open, clicking the icon does nothing... it "moves" as if it's about to open but doesn't show up in the dock even. No idea what happened.

I need my bookmarks for business etc, can I just go to Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default and make a copy of the bookmarks icon (it looks like a blank piece of paper??). I just want to make sure that when I reinstall Chrome I won't lose my bookmarks.

Somebody else also said to look for "old profile" in that default folder however there is none?

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Restart one more time.
    If it still doesnt work reinstall chrome

3. SurferMan, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Restarted, a few times, did nothing. My problem is I need to know if I just reinstall Chrome right now, will it delete all my bookmarks... thats my problem :( . I know how to manage them on a PC but on a Mac it's confusing especially now that I can access Chrome browser to export into an html file so I could impor them into safari or FF.

Searched online and people say just reinstalling chrome won't delete bookmarks, and others say it will delete them... wtf?!?!? gotta be 1 or the other... god this sucks, I have so many BM's for biz etc.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Reinstall by dragging and replacing the existing Chrome instead of deleting the old one and then installing it clean. In theory, that should preserve your settings.

5. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure what you mean by dragging chrome to replace?

Def not risking theory :D ... I wonder if I make a copy of the bookmarks file, reinstall... and then put the bookmarks file back.

Except I see a "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak" item as well??? however their both blank icons, just white, bunch of other ones are just white too.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

did you have chrome sync on to save your bookmarks? if you did, then you can sync it with the new one after you reinstall...

7. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

No idea, pry not as I've been using Chrome for years and that's the 1st time I've ever heard of "chrome sync". I've always just exported and imported if I was reformatting etc, except now with Chrome not opening I can't even export.

There's a "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak" file and not sure what the diff is?

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You go to chrome then open sync.
    This allows you to save bookmarks and all on google account but since you cant open chrome........

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I just about said, just open chrome and enable it, then i remembered that it was not possible :rolleyes:

10. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Still trying, even the steps on Google don't work, says rename your default folder to backup, and then Chrome should work as a "new profile"... doesn't work:(

11. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Fixed it. After trying multiple things including writing a new chrome script that works for others (didn't for me), tried renaming default elsewhere and deleting it from chrome and setting up a new profile (again works for others, not me)... I made copies of the bookmarks and bookmarks.bak files, deleted chrome, reinstalled it and put the bookmark files back and it worked. Some stuff didn't keep, like all my sites, forums, emas etc have to be relogged and saved. But all I cared about was saving my bookmarks. Going to sync them now. Oh yeh I couldn't download chrome at first, and a lit of time zip and dmg files don't download it a browser opens then automatically (only if I can manually save as)... had to delete speeddownloader from FF as for some reason it f's with dmg and zip files