Chromebook vs Tablet...WAT THE H888 IS GOOGLE THINKING?!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, May 27, 2011.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Maybe I'm just clueless. Can someone inform me on why any logically thinking person would buy a chromebook.

All I see is a crippled laptop. I could've sworn that's what tablets were for.

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Some people may still enjoy the middle ground between tablets and laptops. A laptop form factor, and instant-on, long battery life of tablets.

Just because you do not think it's a good idea, doesn't mean everyone thinks the same.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I'm buying a chrome book. Most of my life is in the googlevrse anyway. And between home, business, hotspots, ect, I haven't been with out Internet in years.

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I have a Cr-48. It's nice how it syncs everything with Chrome on my regular laptop. It's much easier to type on than my iPad. It's also much easier when you need to switch between multiple websites copying and pasting info.

5. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Between desktop & phone = Laptop
    Between laptop & phone = Tablet
    Between laptop & tablet = Chromebook?

6. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

1. In two years, if these chrome books are still around, what type of person will own one. And are there enough of those type of people to make the chromebook successful?

2. Is there enough room for laptops, CHROMEBOOKS, and tablets, and if not, what will die?

7. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think chromebooks will be most popular with the main groups that Google is marketing to: businesses and schools. I think that they will also be useful to some types of hospital employees while tablets will be useful to others.

There is enough room for laptops, chromebooks, and tablets. Computers are becoming tuned for different computing needs.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I'll be curious to see the sales figures of the Chromebook. Assuming Google isn't embarrased and provides them.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I must admit, I think it's a cool idea to own a very lightweight and instant on laptop that does everything, and plays flash! :)
    Which you never have to install anything on, or have to worry about for security or replacement.

Of course there are issues with not having local storage, but I can see some may think it's great.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Personally, I think this is an idiotic product. Any computer with the Chrome browser on it is pretty much a Chromebook. Why not just buy a fully functional netbook or laptop and put Chrome on it?

If the Chromebook hardware is really nice and solid and they are less than $200 I could see maybe buying one. But in general, Chrome OS feels to me like something that they spent so much effort developing that now they feel like they HAVE to do something with it.

My prediction: It will be dead in the water.

11. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think tablets will be far more popular amongst consumers but chromebooks will become popular in a lot of businesses where the employees don't need a lot of computing power and the employer doesn't want to worry about laptops getting lost/stolen with company data on the hard drive. Regular laptops will obviously live on for people who have jobs that require the power of native applications.

12. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

And this is the main reason why I don't understand the creation of the chromebook. For businesses and schools, instant on means nothing, because the machines are on all day.

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Never travel much for business eh?

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Large companies (the kind that worry about their data) store data on servers and not local drives. In some cases the C: drive, DVD player and USB drives are all disabled.

Chromebook may be a viable option for small companies or those that need employees to travel and still have access to confidential data. But again, with cloud storage, still don't see a need for this product when a normal laptop can do the same job and better in most cases.

Can you imagine going to a presentation and due to reinforced concrete in the building your internet connection is spotty. What do you say? "Sorry, I can't present to you on my Chromebook because my interent connection isn't working." Oops.

15. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If you're serious about business you probably won't be owning a chromebook.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's funny the hatred towards a product that's hardly even out yet.

You could use the same arguments about the iPad. Why buy one when a laptop does everything better.

Like the iPad, either you will find it useful and create your own reasons for wanting one or you won't.