Chromebooks Can Run Linux In A Chrome OS Window

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JamesMike, Dec 30, 2014.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would not attempt this on one of the lower end Chromebooks.

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

It depends on what you want to run in the Linux environment. Since crouton is ChRomium Os Universal chrooT envirONment it's using a chroot rather than a virtual machine, so the overhead is a lot lower as Chrome OS and the Linux chroot shares the same kernel.

I've done the same thing on an HP Touchpad which runs webOS (also linux based) on an ARMv7 based tablet. There was an existing X server app and I installed a debian chroot using debootstrap.

I never tried any multimedia applications which might need a bit more CPU power to run at an acceptable speed. Of course, if you want to use something like Skype then you need a Chromebook with an Intel CPU - not ARM CPU based.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would not recommend that people buy ARM and low end Intel Chromebooks with the intention to run Crouton to fill in the void that Chrome OS may leave for them. The more powerful models will work fine with Crouton running as a full OS for their needs inside of the browser window.

5. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

I installed ubuntu on my daughter's intel chromebook. Its handles games much better than i thought it would. Minecraft is fine (not perfect, but playable). Team Fortress 2 is playable. She uses Alice 3 for a school coding club and hasnt complained about it.
    I was surprised since it was only a 200 dollar machine