Chromecast Guest Mode: No Longer Need To Be On Same WiFi Network

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macUser2007, Dec 11, 2014.

1. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

I really wish Apple will stay in front on stuff like this.

This is a very useful feature, if you want to show just a couple of photos or a movie on a friend's TV, but don't want to ask them for their password.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/12/chromecast-now-with-guest-mode.html

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Prepare to have pr0n on your TV at all your parties.

3. macUser2007 thread starter macrumors 65832

LOL! No sex please, my friends are all British :D

But seriously, this is kind of a killer feature. It is a no brainer that people want to share a photo quickly on the big screen, without necessarily sharing a password.

Apple is really falling behind.

I can share virtually everything on either Apple TV or Chromecast from my Android phone, as there are tons of Android apps which support Airplay, Miracast and Chromecast.

But sharing from my iPhone 6+ to Chromecast, or anything other than ATV, is much more difficult.

At some point, this is bound to impact some people's mobile device choice and it's not going to be in Apple's favor.

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Ummmmm....

The Apple supports peer to peer AirPlay. No wifi needed.

5. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Different companies handle this in different ways. Google NEEDS to be on as many devices as possible, since their bread and butter is ad revenue and data. Apple doesn't have that back end, so they need to sell hardware. I don't see it so much as Apple falling behind, as trying to build a solid foundation.
    I mean, based on Google's previous TV endeavors, I'm not 100% convinced they aren't just going to rip and replace in the next edition.