Chromecast is now open!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Feb 3, 2014.

1. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Very much looking forward to see developers work this into their apps. I'm really looking forward to playing Spotify through my TV

2. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Would be cool to cast videos from MxPlayer to the TV.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I was expecting this last month. Wonder what the hold up was at the Google-plex?

4. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Good news! My Note 3 and Chromecast work great together. At home, not only does it work well, but it's so easy to bring it to friends homes; set up is easy and fast. Can't wait to see what developers bring.

5. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

The moment the Chromecast can work just accessing a local network and doesn't need to access internet to work, that moment I will be happy

6. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Well it does (kinda). I have the Avia player and I can stream movies from a raid nat drive via samba to the chromecast. Works just great.

7. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Yes, but the Chromecast needs internet access.

Situation, place without cell coverage, AP and a Chromecast and an Android device with Plex content synced. Chromecast doesn't work, it says that need to access internet

8. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Ok understood. Does it need internet or just a wifi connection? I must say I never tried it without an internet connection. Wonder why it would require it (apart from s/w updates).

Would be great if it supported wifi direct for situations where you don't even have a wifi ap.