Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Chromecast

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
469
7
How do you guys like your Chromecast and what are your primary uses for it?

Also will it work on computer monitors with a USB port or does it have to be a TV?
 

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
13,821
4,331
How do you guys like your Chromecast and what are your primary uses for it?

Also will it work on computer monitors with a USB port or does it have to be a TV?

I mostly use mine to push HBO GO content. The best part is that it changes inputs automatically.

The USB port is only used to give power to the device. It has to connect through an HDMI port.
 
Comment

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
5,669
1,070
East Central Florida
I use PLEX on mine most of the time. For local content on my PC and the various channels they have available. My wife loves it at home with our new baby. Works very well with her iOS devices.
 
Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
5,390
24
Essex (UK)
Netflix, Plex, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Google Music and BT Sport are our main uses at the moment.

From my phone I also use AllCast to stream local phone content.
 
Comment

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
756
0
Plex 99% of the time, YouTube the other 1%.

In my mind, it is missing a few key features that the Apple TV has.

1. Display mirroring
2. Just about any video you pull up on an iDevice in any web browser can be streamed to an Apple TV (universal support), and at this point almost none can be streamed to Chromecast from an Android device.
3. An Apple TV doesn't require an extra device to be functional

But the Chromecast is a good Plex player for the price. Other than that, its not that functional. But I guess that makes sense considering its only $35.
 
Comment

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
202
11
Plex 99% of the time, YouTube the other 1%.

In my mind, it is missing a few key features that the Apple TV has.

1. Display mirroring
2. Just about any video you pull up on an iDevice in any web browser can be streamed to an Apple TV (universal support), and at this point almost none can be streamed to Chromecast from an Android device.
3. An Apple TV doesn't require an extra device to be functional

But the Chromecast is a good Plex player for the price. Other than that, its not that functional. But I guess that makes sense considering its only $35.

FYI, Chromecast does have display mirroring from your computer although it's still in experimental state.
http://www.cnet.com/videos/access-hidden-chromecast-features/
 
Comment

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
716
132
Dublin/London
at home netflix 60%, youtube 40%. Used one in the office the other day to put my chrome tab onto the tv for a presentation. Works great.
 
Comment

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
239
0
From mobile devices: YouTube, Pandora, Pocket Casts (I use roku for more dedicated video viewing like Netflix and Amazon)

From computers: cast full screen for spreadsheets during meetings, showing concept sites/ graphics during meetings, casting live streams
 
Comment

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
202
11
But that only works with Chrome Browser. Not everyone is using it and neither do I understand why I need one to begin with just to show my desktop or local content.

You don't need to if you don't want to cast your screen on chromecast.
 
Comment

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
638
123
Sweden
Why? You need an app to cast it, and Chrome browser is one.

Not if the OS has native support for it (like OS X and Air) and if using an app, why limit your self to one particular (its not like ChromeBrowser is the best ever media player invented).
 
Comment

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
202
11
Not if the OS has native support for it (like OS X and Air) and if using an app, why limit your self to one particular (its not like ChromeBrowser is the best ever media player invented).

You don't think it's up to Microsoft or Apple to support it with their OS?
 
Comment

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
756
0
I hate that the current Chromecast extension only allows casting of one tab. It would be much smarter if the extension would always just cast the active tab. I almost never use Chrome and browse with only 1 tab.
 
Comment

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
638
123
Sweden
You don't think it's up to Microsoft or Apple to support it with their OS?

Why would they care (apple for instance already have Airplay integrated) ? Basically, whether you like it or not you are stuck with ChromeBrowser for certain applications.
 
Comment

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
5,669
1,070
East Central Florida
Why would they care (apple for instance already have Airplay integrated) ? Basically, whether you like it or not you are stuck with ChromeBrowser for certain applications.
Exactly what media are you trying to play on the chromcast through chrome browser? There are better alternatives for most media than the chrome browser.

Personally I never tab cast
 
Comment

0000757

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
3,894
849
Just bought one today.

So far I've mostly used it either for watching YouTube videos on my TV, or having Pandora play ambiently in the background.

I chose the Chromecast over the Apple TV solely for the price. The only thing I lose out on with having a CC instead of an ATV is that I can't mirror my iPad.
 
Comment

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
8,113
2,111
Oregon
I've had mine since launch. I use it for Netflix and streaming google play music and movies.
 
Comment

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
3,194
280
Sydney, Australia
I hate that the current Chromecast extension only allows casting of one tab. It would be much smarter if the extension would always just cast the active tab. I almost never use Chrome and browse with only 1 tab.

It's Google's fault you have a bizarre usage pattern! :rolleyes:

Why do you even bother? You seriously "hate" every device you have ever mentioned using...the constant negativity about everything is actually a real downer....
 
Comment

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
756
0
It's Google's fault you have a bizarre usage pattern! :rolleyes:

Why do you even bother? You seriously "hate" every device you have ever mentioned using...the constant negativity about everything is actually a real downer....

My fiance and I were going over wedding registry stuff. She was on my MBA and casted her tab to the TV so I could see comfortably. She was switching between a couple different online retailers to compare items. How is that a bizarre usage pattern?

Also, your made up idea about me hating every product I have is just that, made up. If I hate all my products, I would have sent them all back, thus making them not "my products" because I would no longer own them. If I hated my phone, I would buy and use one I don't hate. If I hated my tablet, I would buy and use one I don't hate. Your whole idea is fundamentally flawed. Nice try. Move along.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.