Chromium now stable enough for the rest of us

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammich, Oct 13, 2009.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I know there are many of you out there that have been using Chrome for a while now, but since I stumbled across this article this morning and installed it, I found myself slowly stepping away from using Safari.
    http://gizmodo.com/5379795/you-can-use-google-chrome-for-mac-right-now

It just 'feels' nicer, looks cleaner, and smoother. I know that it spawns separate processes for each tab/window, it still doesn't hog memory nearly as bad as Safari (in my case Webkit nightly's).

Go ahead, give it a go.
    Download Chromium

(I searched for this, but nothing came up)

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

excellent!! i shall try it when i get home!!!! awsome!!

3. swisslad macrumors newbie

Yes it is slick - but I've found that it fails on websites needing Java. Anyone else with this problem? NB. Java OK on Safari 4.0.3.

(Windows version allows download of Java if required - but Apple implementation is different of course).

4. gaz617 macrumors member

It's pretty good, the speed is undeniable- I wonder how it will do in benchmarks against safari 4.0.3. The tabs on top is such a good feature, one I loved about the safari 4 beta (don't know why apple got rid of it)-but I still don't think it will pull me away from safari just yet. safari's contextual menus (download linked file and other system integration) and chromes unwillingness to play with smart scroll (essential for lengthy web pages) make safari better imo, although I think Chrome is more visually appealing

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Yep, Google Chrome's been my main browser for a while now, actually from its very beginning. Why? Because I'm so freakin' fed up with freakin' Safari's freakin' spinning beach balls. :mad::mad::mad:

NB: iTunes Store redirects don't work in Google Chrome yet.

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

thanks for the heads up, i have been meaning to give this a try for a while now but have forgotten to do so. Looks like now is as good a time as any to jump in

7. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

i wish there was a way to use chrome and somehow use firefox's keyboard shortcuts. I miss using cmd <- to go back a webpage

8. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

There are some things I'm missing already from Safari, like a full listing of the last 10 days of your history. Some sites don't align the same as Safari.

And I wish that chrome's "about:memory" worked too (more special pages).

(Oh and, the buttons here in BB post message boxes causes a runaway process, try it...click that 'make new link' above the post message box and watch the CPU usage...it's going nuts right now, plus you can't post your message)

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm looking forward to Chromium, but I'll wait until Google says it's ready. I post on message boards too often to use it now, in its current state. :p

10. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Looks like a bug to me. Report it, if you haven't already.

12. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Uh, how do you post a bug report? The option is greyed out in 'Help' and not sure where on the web to post it.

EDIT: wait, found the place.

13. djellison macrumors 68020

Safari is like stepping back in time sometimes. It's dreadful - especially with Flash or Java. It's shameful frankly.

14. MecPro macrumors 6502

Tell me about it, Safari is a little too basic for me. I have been using Chrome on the OS X for a while now and it is good, but I can only use it for certain sites, not Facebook or anything like that as there are some graphical issues still there.

But I am still an avid user of a trimmed down, tweaked Firefox