Chromium OS on MBP ? Would it work ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imperialnavy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. imperialnavy macrumors regular

Hi,
    apparently, someone managed to install Chromium OS on his Macbook Air at the cost of loosing the entire OS X system.
    Now i have 2 questions :

1. Is it possible to do install Chromium on the Macbook Pro ? One site mentioned, that it might also work on Macbook Pros, but not specifics...

2. I have 3 Partitions currently, one running Bootcamp, the other 2 running Macintosh (1 as my main partition, the second one, much smaller, as a restore partition) If i decide to install it on my restore partition, i will loose the macintosh on this partition, the other 2 systems should be fine though, right?

Maybe someone here already tried this and give me an answer :) Thanks !

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Why would you want chromium?? Just uninstall everything and just keep the Chrome web browser, thats Chrome OS. :p

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Only thing stopping you is a lack of supported hardware/drivers. If someone managed to get Chrome to recognize all the MBP's hardware, you would be good to go.

That being said, why would you want to in the first place? Just wait till Lion and fullscreen Chrome.

4. apd macrumors member

Paralllels has for a long while offered you the option of downloading and running a virtual version of Chrome OS. I trued it - there just wasn't very much to do in it! I don't know whether you could boot into Chromium tho