ChronoSync: Is this gonna screw me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Murray M, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Did a lot of research and just got ChronoSync to sync folders on multiple Macs.

WOW.

Seriously powerful. Perhaps the best $40 I've spent on Mac stuff. A little odd to get used to--it just doesn't behave like anything I've come accross--but I'm quickly warming up to it.

I'm gonna be hooking up folders that are going all sorts of ways in all sorts of manners across 3 Macs. Is ChronoSync gonna screw me? It seems too good to be true. Any horror stories out there I should know about?

2. celticpride678

ChronoSync is probably the most used app on my Mac...no complaints or issues.

3. Murray M thread starter macrumors regular

Murray M

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It can screw you the same ways any synchronization software (that doesn't do real time syncing) can. If you update a file on system A and then do the same on system B without synchronizing first, you will have a problem. This becomes especially problematic if the file is a database. Be careful with Mail, AddressBook, Calendar, iPhoto, ... Read the instructions! For Mail you are best off with an iMap or Outlook mail account. AddressBook and Calendar are best synced with a server computer or MobileMe or some other "cloud" service. Or you can do one-directional syncing.

5. Murray M thread starter macrumors regular

Murray M

ah, I see.
    I'm thinking about making everything one direction and mirrored to take as many variables out as I can.

I'm just syncing work document folders (not mail, or iphoto stuff).