Chronosync mail issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andy5000, Mar 19, 2009.

1. andy5000 macrumors regular

Hi everyone, i have a copy of chronosync. struggling trying to sync the com.apple.mail.pflist dragging it to chronosync wont work and neither will going to choose... doesnt seem to let you select the com files, they are greyed out.

This is the guide i was trying to use. failed at the com file step.
    http://econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_tips9.html

Anyone know a solution???
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have the demo of ChronoSync and can't get it to copy (it wont do a true sync anyway) Mail either. I posted the same basic question a few days ago and didn't get an answer. I guess no one (or almost no one) on this forum has two Macs and uses ChronoSync to keep Mail the same. I'm about to try again and will post if I get it to copy correctly.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Still a gigantic nightmare. When I sync it will not work because many of the Folders don't have me as the Owner and have a - in the lower left corner. For some reason it changes from Julien (me) Owner to Nobody. How do you get ChronSync to sync the Folders over with permission enabled and/or Owner as Julien (Me)? Both Macs have only one User and the same User name Julien (Me).

Julien (Me) is an example (my last name) but it does have my first name on both.

4. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

are your computers on the same network name? if you go to system preferences and network is the location the same on both of them? and for the com.apple.mail.pflist to work under the setup you need to put the location the file is, then under rules, tick displayed name then set it to file name is com.apple.mail.pflist
    I must admit i have kind of given up because the time it took. if im on the laptop i am just setting them as unread or in the mailbox folders rather than sorting them, that way when i go on it on the imac i can sort it out. only problem is i dont get sent mail on both computers.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure what you mean by "are your computers on the same network name?...". My MacPro is connected to my router by ethernet (not WiFi) and my MacBook is connected to the router by WiFi.

Also do you have to sync the com.apple.mail.pflist file every time or just on the initial setup sync?

6. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

if you go to system prefs on both computers, and go to network, the location should be the same on both computers, eg both of mine are on "workgroup".

the com.apple.mail.pflist has to sync everytime i think because it is the file that tells where the email is stored and your account details.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure what you are seeing on your Mac at System Preferences: Networks but here is what mine looks like on my MacPro.
    [​IMG]

8. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

yeh see where it says automatic, click that box, and edit locations, then changes these to the same thing on all your computers, this is so your computers can see each other.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

When I hit Edit I see the following. What are you saying I need to do (add something, rename location or what) and why do I need to do it since both Macs mount each other and can freely look and copy files between them?:confused:

[​IMG]

10. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry didnt realise you could exchange files etc. my mistake.
    so whats not working now?
    its been a long day, should of read it twice before replying.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

When the Folders are synced to my Macbook I no longer have permission to Write to them. My name is changed from Julien (Me) to Nobody and I get a - in the icon. I emailed ChronoSync and they sent me the following instructions that I don't fully understand.
    I ejected from both and I opened Keychain Access. I don't see any reference the other computer in either Keychain. My MacBook only has a few Keychain enters so it is easy to check. What does this mean and what do I do? I don't use a Password on either Mac and I use the same User Name. Can anyone help?

12. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry im not sure, chronosync doesnt seem to be the best solution for mail does it. let me know if you work it out, i will let you know if i work anything out.