ChronoSync takes too long

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I just installed chronosync to sync the Home folders of my two macs together. I think everything is syncing fine but the process takes so goddamn long that I'm wondering if it's normal.

The first sync took like 5 hours just as I expected because I have a lot of files. I thought all syncs following that would be shorter, because the program would only look for the changed files right? But it looks like it's analyzing every file again. Is it suppose to be like this? I hope not :eek:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK.
    • Even if ChronoSync doesn't have to copy every file, it still must check each file. It takes time to check each file.
    • You are probably grossly underestimating the number of files that are being changed between synchronizations.

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

I sync 2 computers over a network and it does not take nearly 5 hrs after the initial sync. There could be a setting that is wrong. It may prove helpful to go back and review all preference settings.

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured it out. It's the iPhoto library that's taking too long if you don't parse it. You have to go to Option then Special File/Folder Handling then switch Basic to Custom then check Dissect packages. That should do it.

My 151 GB Home folder sync use to take over 5 hours, now it takes only 22 mins.

5. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

MS Office DAT file takes a long time too. It stores everything in that file.