Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistD

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2022
Hello!
What would be the best backup software: Chronosync or Carbon Copy Cloner?
Thanks!
I purchased and used both.

Both of them have some overlap in functionality regarding backups:
- both can do incremental backups
- both can do mirroring / sync
- both can do “versioning” and “snapshots” (keep safe deleted / modified files)
- etc

I like CCC more because it feels a little bit more “polished” and for some reason it gives me more peace of mind (no particular reason, just psychological bias :))

ChronoSync has one BIG advantage though: you can choose cloud services as a destination target , so basically you can do also off-site (cloud) backups / mirroring within the same software.

I really hope that CCC will add cloud backups in the near future.

MistD

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2022
Do I need to format the Lacie before using CCC?

I would format it first (HFS+ for a HDD) give it a unique drive name and just use it for CCC backup.

When the drive is connected, formated and ready available setup the backup task.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks mate. After I posted, I did a bot of research on the Lacie page. It mentioned there that if running Ventura, APFS might be the better option. But I wasn't sure whether this was or HDD and/or SSD. What do you think would be the better option - HFS+ or APFS?

Reactions: MistD

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Thanks mate. After I posted, I did a bot of research on the Lacie page. It mentioned there that if running Ventura, APFS might be the better option. But I wasn't sure whether this was or HDD and/or SSD. What do you think would be the better option - HFS+ or APFS?
No harm in going with APFS for a CCC backup to a HDD. I think this is recommended these days anyways.

MistD

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2022
Yeah, i kind of remained “old-school” with HFS+ for HDDs and APFS for SSDs.

Some time ago APFS was slower on HDDs and HFS+ was recommended.

I am not updated on the topic though, i might be wrong and times have changed 🙂

My external HDDs used for CCC are HFS+ and didn’t bother to re-format, works great.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, i kind of remained “old-school” with HFS+ for HDDs and APFS for SSDs.

Some time ago APFS was slower on HDDs and HFS+ was recommended.

I am not updated on the topic though, i might be wrong and times have changed 🙂

My external HDDs used for CCC are HFS+ and didn’t bother to re-format, works great.
How long ago was this?

Most things I like old skool - music, clothes, style, furniture, cars - but my tech has to be modern.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks MistD

Wow! There's some hardcore technical stuff there. What I can gather from it though is that APFS might actually be slow than HFS+. I'm in no major rush to backup so will do a bit more research first and then decide - APFS or HFS+

Reactions: MistD

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
A quick question before I format and backup on CCC - once I've backed up, can I use the backup drive to create a Time Machine backup, store other data - files, films, music etc? Or will this drive have to solely be for CCC backups?

Edit: I ended up using APFS and did my first back up. Approximately 300gb took 90 minutes.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
A quick question before I format and backup on CCC - once I've backed up, can I use the backup drive to create a Time Machine backup, store other data - files, films, music etc? Or will this drive have to solely be for CCC backups?
I do all three, TM, CCC and data. So long as it is APFS format it is easy to add additional volumes. So, yes, you can mix CCC and TM destinations on the same drive. But, before putting other data on the disk, you need to consider its backup requirements.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I do all three, TM, CCC and data. So long as it is APFS format it is easy to add additional volumes. So, yes, you can mix CCC and TM destinations on the same drive. But, before putting other data on the disk, you need to consider its backup requirements.
Brilliant. Are volumes like partitions? So I create a separate volume for CCC, TM and data?

And what do you mean by "consider its backup requirements"? Whether or not I really need the stuff? If so, you're spot on. I tend to be a harder. My thinking is its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. A bit like Carlito Brigante 😂

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Are volumes like partitions? So I create a separate volume for CCC, TM and data?
Not quite, and yes!

The APFS container fills a partition. So roughly: APFS container = partition. Within an APFS container/partition you can create multiple volumes (e.g. TM, CCC, data).

Hierarchy: Disk has partitions; a partition can be filled with an APFS container; an APFS container has one or more volumes. You can see the three levels in Disk Utility if you enable the menu item: View > Show All Devices.

Note carefully: The volumes share the space in the container. Therefore, you need to keep an eye on the dynamic sizes of the volumes and make sure their total size leaves some free space. Flexible, but not entirely set and forget.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Gilby thank you for that breakdown.

So, is the following correct for my 2tb HDD?

I had a 2tb container to start with.

When I did the CCC backup, that created a Volume, which I labelled CCC Backup. That backup was 300gb, so the Volume is 300gb.

This now leaves me with a 1700GB Container and within this Container I can create another Volume for a TM Backup, another Volume for other files etc

Have i got this right?

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Have i got this right?
Yes. But be aware that the 300GB CCC volume will grow in size - 300GB is its current size, not its maximum size. The same is true of a TM volume. How fast they grow will depend on your file size and creation rate.

Strictly speaking, your container remains at 2TB, but now has 1700GB free.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Yes. But be aware that the 300GB CCC volume will grow in size - 300GB is its current size, not its maximum size. The same is true of a TM volume. How fast they grow will depend on your file size and creation rate.

Strictly speaking, your container remains at 2TB, but now has 1700GB free the volume will grow the more I backup

Yup. The more I back up using CCC or TM, or the more files I add, the volumes will grow.

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Hello!
Thanks!
Some points not mentioned so far:

→ CCC works with MacOS as far back as Yosemite (OS X 10.10) including full developer support. CCC v4 works with Mountain Lion (10.8) or Mavericks (10.9) but without developer support. ChronoSync needs at least MacOS Sierra (10.12).
→ ChronoSync licenses are registered to a single Mac. If you want to install ChronoSync on more than one machine, you need to buy an additional license. CCC licenses can be installed on as many Macs as you want.
→ ChronoSync updates are free for life. CCC updates are 25% to 50% of the current new license price.
→ The latest version of CCC offers a number of ChronoSync features - e.g. scheduled backups and hot folder monitoring.
→ I've never had the need to contact CCC support, but I call tell you from past experience that ChronoSync support is awesome. Prompt, knowledgeable, and super-helpful.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I used to have Goodsync when I had a Windows computer. I tried Chronosync when I moved to Mac. I am still on a Mac, but I came back to Goodsync. I sync my Macbook Air with my iMac and a Windows computer on OneDrive.

Irwin Fayne

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Hello!
Thanks!
Hi, I'm getting ready to migrate to Mac and am looking for software that will synch changes from my internal drive to a backup ssd automatically (in the background) anytime a file is changed or added to the internal drive. which of the 2 prorams would be best for this?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I'm getting ready to migrate to Mac and am looking for software that will synch changes from my internal drive to a backup ssd automatically (in the background) anytime a file is changed or added to the internal drive. which of the 2 prorams would be best for this?
Assuming your backup SSS is an external drive connected to the Mac: Both CCC and CS can run on any file change. But be aware that will put a load on the system. More usual is to sync on a time interval - like 1 hour. For a synchronisation task I would use CS. Try both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.