Chronus or APPBackup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by esadb, Aug 26, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Refer to title.

I dont mean AptBackup.. but AppBackup.

I currently have PkgBackup that will take the list of whats installed. But i was looking for something that will backup the data itself. I guess Chronus you can email yourself the file.. but how do i get it back? Im guessing SSH?

Which ones easier, and works better with iOS 4.0.1 with iP4.

Thanks!

2. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't believe there is any reliable way to do what you want.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Did you read the descriptions of what Chronus and AppBackup do? They only backup App Store apps and a subset of built-in apps. Neither backup Jailbreak apps.

The problem with backing up Jailbreak app settings is there is no way to know what to backup and where the files will be located.

S-

5. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Cool, thanks!

Hmm.. But i didnt mention jailbreak data anywheres...? I guess they will backup game saves then? And other settings with official apps?

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Actually, I've found with a combination of normal syncing and PKGBackup, everything is backed up.

I recently had to restore my phone (too much farking with the filesystem) and restoring from iTunes and syncing restored all my apps. To my surprise, even though the jailbroken apps weren't there, the application settings were.

As soon as I restored the actual jailbroken apps with pkgbackup and rebooted, my phone instantly became my "old" phone.

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

FWIW....I gave up backing up the iPhone through PkgBackup and other apps, as I found out pretty much what thelatinist concisely said.

Used PkgBackup for 9 months, but only had to actually implement (restore) once. It was nice to have all the Cydia apps pre-install, but still lost all the settings/data.

So, now I look specifically for apps that have their own external backup routine (for app store apps), and very selectively install Cydia apps (mostly user interface helpers like WinterBoard, SBSettings, Backgrounder, etc.) so that I don't, fingers crossed, have to do a restore very often.

I hate losing the data, but going about it this way, has really only happened with app store games, at least for me.

8. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

So those two application will backup data just fine? And then afterward you can just restore the data back to the official apps?

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

These are the steps I ran:

Backup phone in iTunes sometime in the past (already jailbroken)

DFU Mode
    Restore phone as backup from X date
    Completely sync
    Jailbreak
    Update all packages in cydia
    Reinstall pkgbackup
    Restore pkgbackup data

Everything was there, down to the selected Iconoclasm layout to the selected icon size in Shrink

EDIT:

Maybe this worked because most of the stuff I jailbreak for stores settings in the actual Settings.app, so perhaps those are backed up along with other phone settings when you sync/backup with iTunes?

10. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

But that wont do lets say the game Saves for Angry Birds or any other games right?

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

That is done when you sync with iTunes. The biggest thing is that you just have to let it go. iTunes is stupid sometimes. I can hook up my phone, sync it, unhook it, sync it 5 minutes later, and somehow it wants to install 50 more apps. If you try to stop it and install the apps manually, you generally lose the save game data.

12. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

The method described works for game data fine as long as you do a restore via iTunes, and then use PkgBackup.

It doesn't work if you 'Set up as New' in iTunes and then use PkgBackup. Obviously.

I think it's a pretty good solution (not perfect, but good), until you have to cross a major iOS upgrade, like from 1.x to 2.x to 3.x to 4.x, or from switching devices, as in original iPhone, to 3G, to 3Gs, to iP4. It's been kind of a general consensus when crossing those boundaries that you 'Set up as New'. I'm sure there are exceptions where some have had it be successful, but it's not worked out well for me when crossing 2.x to 3.x for example, or when going from a 3G to a 3Gs, when doing a 'restore'.

YMMV.

13. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

+1, more people need to know this.

Problem is, a lot of us (myself included) like to "Set Up as New Phone" and not from backups. ;)

Yet we'll try to go through the trouble of individually backing everything up. :rolleyes:

14. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

I have no clue what people are talking about in here..

Forget iTunes.. I can backup my stuff there.. I can setup my iphone as new thats not the issue or set it up from a backup.. Thats not the issue..

If i want to set my phone up as NEW, and lets say i use Chronus or AppBackup to backup Angry Birds.. Then SSH into the device.. find the backup.. move it to my pc. STORE IT THERE.

Now next day i set my phone up as new... jailbreak.. download Angry Birds (all game saves are gone) go get AppBackup.. Go find the file from my Angry Birds (on my PC) backup move it into the folder (on my phone) it had "originally" came from.

Then open AppBackup, choose to restore. Will that give me back my game saves?