Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Original poster
There are probably plenty of members of the Forum that like me are perfectly happy with their present MBA's, and will not be affected by a new refresh. My basic spec 11.6" was bought as an Xmas present for me by my family, my first Mac, and it does a brilliant job.

However a Forum depends on posts and enthusiasm from its members, so I quite understand the excitement generated by a new model upgrade, and quite enjoy reading the speculation on what the new changes will be. Mine will be with me for a few years more yet, but I would have liked a back lit keyboard as I am a two fingered typist, and use mine a lot in bed at night with the light off as her indoors is asleep next to me.

tut

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My feelings - and experiences - are pretty much on a par with yours. As it happened, I got my MBA last September (Rev C SSD) about a month before the revolutionary updates (i.e. the 11" MBA, increased RAM, better battery and so on), and, like you, I'm very happy with it. And yes, I have the backlit keyboard (as I had on my MBP), and yes, it is a feature which I like a lot and deeply regret that it is no longer included. Okay, the battery could last longer than it does, but, for the moment, I'm pretty content.

Yes, I read with interest comments and masochistic longing as predicted dates for assumed updates come and go. Doubtless there will be an impressive update sometime this summer to the MBA; good for those who desire it, need it and want it; good, even, for those who feel a compulsion to exchange their computers every two or three months.

Meanwhile, I shall read about the upgrades, enjoy learning about what they can do, and anticipate the delightful pleasure of indulging in the purchase of an upgrade in a year, or two, or, possibly, even three.

Cheers

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Many people for some reason seem to think their computer will stop being useful after new ones come out. Its a silly idea but a lot of it comes from Windows switchers who see a barrage of hardware come out monthly on Windows systems. They have a harder time adjusting to the Mac OS side of things of updates once or twice a year.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I just like having the latest and greatest ^_^

Assuming the HD3000 ends up being the graphics solution in the new Macbook Air, the difference between the 2010 model and the 2011 refresh is going to be minimized.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Don't forget that there are many people excited that do not in fact own one yet.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here

Me three. I discovered that open CL doesn't improve speeds enough for me to care much about a high end laptop gfx chip, so I think a SB processor will be a huge jump from my C2D, plus loads more portable than my MBP beast (which goes to the wife).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good luck to the many posters who have yet to enjoy the pleasure of ownership of a MBA; I don't grudge you your anticipation, interest and pure pleasure in the predicted/proposed/planned update in the slightest. You'll enjoy the whole process of purchase and ownership all the more when you finally actually get a MBA - I know I did, and I had eyed the MBA longingly for around two years before I treated myself to one.

However, while I'll readily concede that people have different perspectives on such things, the massed brigades who feel the need "to have the latest and greatest" every two or three months sometimes irk me. Each to their own, I suppose, but I cannot help feeling that this sort of panders of the crassest of consumerist and disposable tendencies, especially when one takes into consideration that all Apple computers are designed to work perfectly well for a number of years.

Cheers

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Mac's in general have a high resale value if taken care of properly. Personally I apply invisibleshield/wrapsol day 1 and sell every year to get the latest model. So far I've sold 5 MB/MBP's, pretty much every time I get close to the original price so I never lose much money. Keeping my first Macbook all these years would render it worthless today though. Now I'm getting ready to buy my first MBA, which will be the 11" ultimate :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mac's in general have a high resale value if taken care of properly. Personally I apply invisibleshield/wrapsol day 1 and sell every year to get the latest model. So far I've sold 5 MB/MBP's, pretty much every time I get close to the original price so I never lose much money. Keeping my first Macbook all these years would render it worthless today though. Now I'm getting ready to buy my first MBA, which will be the 11" ultimate :)

Fair point and well argued; my comment wasn't really directed at your situation but at those who feel the need to change/upgrade a computer every few months. Whatever rocks your boat......

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Many people for some reason seem to think their computer will stop being useful after new ones come out. Its a silly idea but a lot of it comes from Windows switchers who see a barrage of hardware come out monthly on Windows systems. They have a harder time adjusting to the Mac OS side of things of updates once or twice a year.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? People coming from Windows are used to having their computers outdated in a month or two, but Mac users are used to having the latest hardware for about a year before a new model comes out.

Personally, I believe it depends on each person. Some people are just the type that feel the need to always have the best. It seems to me that mostly younger people (myself included) find the need to upgrade every time a new upgrade comes out, while older people don't seem to care as much/at all, and are typically content as long as the device can accomplish whatever the need done.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything, but that's what I've noticed from a few months of browsing MR.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
The whole key is what you do with your computer. For what I do, my 11 inch 4 GB MBA is perfectly fine. I wanted a larger HD, so I installed an OWC 256 SSD GB blade in it. I think this could last me for quite a while.

Is there something in Lion that requires a different processor for a better user experience? Is that why they are holding up the release until Lion comes out?

If that is the case, they maybe I would want one. Otherwise, I am content.

I'm not sure what would drive someone to trade up on a new MBA so soon.

FusionZero

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I'm just excited for it as this is a year of a lot of travel, and I need something small and light. My iMac is now 4 years old and is one of the most fantastic purchases I've ever made.

Needless to say this wait is killing me!

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
I'm just excited for it as this is a year of a lot of travel, and I need something small and light. My iMac is now 4 years old and is one of the most fantastic purchases I've ever made.

Needless to say this wait is killing me!

Its the same for me, I'm leaving N. America in mid-August and the money is just waiting in my bank account for the new MBAs to come out. My imac is great, but it can't come with me; and my powerbook is just sooooooo slow (even though I'm using it right now)

I really hope the July 17th rumors are right, I don't want to push it any further in case I need to plan for shipping time with a custom order...

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
The whole key is what you do with your computer. For what I do, my 11 inch 4 GB MBA is perfectly fine. I wanted a larger HD, so I installed an OWC 256 SSD GB blade in it. I think this could last me for quite a while.

Is there something in Lion that requires a different processor for a better user experience? Is that why they are holding up the release until Lion comes out?

If that is the case, they maybe I would want one. Otherwise, I am content.

I'm not sure what would drive someone to trade up on a new MBA so soon.

It's just the urge to have the latest/greatest I think.

I switch processors 2-3 times a year in my desktop rig, and laptops every 3-4 months. Why? Just to try out the new stuff.

It's an extreme case, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people will want to upgrade their 2010 MBA with the 2011 version by selling their old ones. If they can get a good price when they sell, it won't end up costing them that much.

Plus, the 2010 model to 2011 model will probably see the biggest increase in performance in terms of generational upgrades, so switching for the new one makes the most sense.

BostonBrawler

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
It's just the urge to have the latest/greatest I think.

I switch processors 2-3 times a year in my desktop rig, and laptops every 3-4 months. Why? Just to try out the new stuff.

It's an extreme case, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people will want to upgrade their 2010 MBA with the 2011 version by selling their old ones. If they can get a good price when they sell, it won't end up costing them that much.

Plus, the 2010 model to 2011 model will probably see the biggest increase in performance in terms of generational upgrades, so switching for the new one makes the most sense.

Where is it that macs can be resold readily? Ebay?

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I opted to purchase an 11.6, 64g w 4g RAM as a refurb in May although I knew the refresh was coming. I haven't looked back as i am thrilled with it.
Sandy Bridge may be a great advance but my MBA is no slouch.

Early adopters always face the prospect of minor glitches in new products. The current MBA is solid. It's been a big hit at my work and several foljs have remarked that an Air will be their next purchase.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Early adopters always face the prospect of minor glitches in new products. The current MBA is solid. It's been a big hit at my work and several foljs have remarked that an Air will be their next purchase.

I'm with you on that point - and it is one of the main reasons I don't class myself as an early adopter. Agree with you also on the current MBA - it is solid and I love the sheer portability.

Cheers

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Shouldn't it be the other way around? People coming from Windows are used to having their computers outdated in a month or two, but Mac users are used to having the latest hardware for about a year before a new model comes out.

Personally, I believe it depends on each person. Some people are just the type that feel the need to always have the best. It seems to me that mostly younger people (myself included) find the need to upgrade every time a new upgrade comes out, while older people don't seem to care as much/at all, and are typically content as long as the device can accomplish whatever the need done.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything, but that's what I've noticed from a few months of browsing MR.

I think on a forum like this one you are likely to see a lot of technophiles that just want to have the shiny new toy. I'm certainly one of them! I used to feel bad about this and hold off on buying those toys. In the last year, I've just decided to accept myself for who I am, and just get my new toys. I'm at a stage in my life where I don't have a wife/kids/mortgage so I have some disposable income, and resale value on Macs is pretty good. So I'm going to try the update often route, see how it goes and just not feel bad about it anymore.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I think there is some truth to what you have written. In general, older people have other, more pressing, commitments than simply buying the "latest and best". And they are probably less enamoured of the whole disposable economy idea. However, when needs overtake what one's device can do, and, sometimes of equal importance, when a game-changer comes along (like the MBA when it first appeared and the 11" MBA last year), then, even those of us who have been a bit seasoned by life, may well sit up and pay attention. Anyway, anticipation - rather than immediate gratification - is always part of the pleasure of purchase.

Cheers

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I am really hoping to see 4 GB standard and improved battery life. These two things are the most important to me. It would be a bonus if they increased standard SSD sizes and re-introduced the backlit keys, but both of these are highly doubtful, especially the latter.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Interesting observations across the age scale.

I am a doddering 70 year old disabled War Pensioner, though still racing a Lotus Elise at weekends, but I am still on here several times a day keeping up to date, and waiting for the announcement of what the refresh's upgrades will be.

Obviously if I had been about to buy an Air I would have waited for the upgrade, but there will be thousands out there that do not log into Forums such as this and will be unaware of it, and PC World is sure as hell not going to tell them as they sell their remaining stock.

I would have been a bit hacked off if I had been in that bracket, but I have had mine for six months so will happily read the reviews when it is released.

tut

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting observations across the age scale.

I am a doddering 70 year old disabled War Pensioner, though still racing a Lotus Elise at weekends, but I am still on here several times a day keeping up to date, and waiting for the announcement of what the refresh's upgrades will be.

Obviously if I had been about to buy an Air I would have waited for the upgrade, but there will be thousands out there that do not log into Forums such as this and will be unaware of it, and PC World is sure as hell not going to tell them as they sell their remaining stock.

I would have been a bit hacked off if I had been in that bracket, but I have had mine for six months so will happily read the reviews when it is released.

tut

Way to go, mate! Good for you. Nice post.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.