Chuckling at queues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antj29, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Antj29 macrumors member

Walked by the O2 in cheapside this morning just as they were letting them in. Queue was a good 40-50 long. I had to chuckle to myself as i turned up the volume on my iphone and walked past.

Looking forward to the first person who i will see ont he train home tonight showing off their iphone to commuters as if its some sort of new technology, .....lol

i have to say i'd never queue to buy anything, also crazy to see the queue length differences this year. As the CPW store storeacross the road where i got my origonal iphone from on launch night last year i just walked in at launch time and picked it up. This morning the same CPW store again was about 30 odd deep.:D:D

2. iPhoneItIn macrumors newbie

I queued to buy UGA away football game tickets when I was in college. Way more worth it than waiting all night for a damn phone.

3. xxchefxx macrumors member

but this is only a good thing the more people that jump on the iphone train then the bigger push it will be to better apps and add-ons, i for one have jumped on the train the last iphone i couldent care about but now im really looking forward to getting one i just hope dhl come soon :D

4. Antj29 thread starter macrumors member

dunno i can see your point, but i'm one of those people who likes having something different to the hoardes.

I wonder what Nokia and the other big guns are thinking now. they surely have got to have a comeback on this. After all it is there bread and butter, well Nokias at least

5. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

+1

It's only a phone after all - even if it is a particularly good one.:D

6. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

did they start to let them in at 8am then?
    cos i walked up Bow Land about 10 minutes ago at 8:30 and there looked like more. i popped into Eat to get breakfast, came out, and another 10 people had joined the queue
    there was an O2 girl with an iPhone 3G t-shirt checking out the queue and looking a tad worried

i went past the Cannon St shop too and if anything the queue looked much longer!

didn't look like the queues are moving very quickly though - i guess it takes a while to credit check everyone and activate their phones?

7. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

This was the queue, or more like a mob of people at Hounslow O2 at 8.02 this morning.

:eek:

Attached Files:

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Shoulda joined the band. They paid for us to go to Jacksonville EVERY YEAR! I always got a chuckle reading about those lines in the R&B a day or so later. Of course camping out for tickets beats a week of all-day band camp, like, always. It takes crazy things like free admission to football games to get some of us to spend 6 hours in the August heat!

Oh, back to topic. I queued for the Wii. It was freezing cold, but it was something actually new and I was afraid about not being able to get one if I didn't do that. Waited in line for about 6 hours outside a Best Buy and got one. It was MONTHS before I saw one for sale in a store I was in, so that was one smart decision.

I get it for the 3G in other countries, maybe if you don't have an iPhone yet (maybe). I do NOT get it for upgraders. There will probably be hundreds available all over the place next week. Me? I'm waiting for the pot to be sweetened more. Come on, 64GB iPhone!! :)

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nokia is still a huge player in the dumbphone market, which is much bigger. Apple and RiM are the two main players in the smartphone market, which is a very small percentage. I still think Apple is smart enough to develop a "stupid" iPhone to hit that market, but it may be a year or two.

10. craigp macrumors member

I was in the queue in Newbury at the O2 store. Opened at 8:02am and the queue was easily 40-50 deep. Amazing for a mobile phone. Amazing for England!

11. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

12. Archie- macrumors regular

Nokia is also the main player in the smartphone market, much bigger than RIM and obviously Apple.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Nokia has a lot of nerve calling their N series phones smartphones. They aren't in the same class as BBs or iPhones and don't deserve to be included in that category.

14. AndyQ macrumors newbie

In Camberley this morning at 8:00 the O2 shop have just over 20 people there (and apparently only a total of 20 iPhones - only 5 16Gb ones apparently).

Just down the way (literally about 150 yds) CPW had 4 people outside (only 2 16Gb).

Picked up an 8Gb one. Funniest was that I was in 5th but first one to actually managed to buy the phone and that took an hour. Walked past CPW about an hour or so later and the people who were ahead of me were still waiting!

15. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Add me to the list of smug bastards chuckling quietly at the people queuing in the rain this morning :)

Even if my v1 was worth upgrading to the new model (which I honestly think it's not) there's no way I'd wait outside in the bad weather for the priviledge!

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    GO DOGS!! This year, prepare to pay for Georgia tickets, and the phone - if you want the BEST!