CHUD 4.6.2 on a PowerMac DP1.42

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nameci, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have read that in order to bring down temperatures of a dual 1.42, you need to have CHUD 3.5.2 and enable NAP mode.

I have tried to find (google) for CHUD 3.5.2 but it keeps on sending me to the Apple Dev Site, and there out of desperation I have dl'ed the version 4.6.2. Will it work on my PMG4 dual 1.42?

I have tried to install but I cannot seem to find the pref?

2. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hi,

I have chud 3.5.2 - its on my mac pro somewhere.. if you need it, I can give it to you.. I have no need for this as my only G4's are a PowerBook G4 1.67 Hi-Res(my "almost" main system I use each day), and my G4 550 Pismo.. I don't know if my G5 Quad takes nap mode.

You don't want to use 4.6.2 with the MDD, period.. 3.5.2 is what you need.

http://www.2shared.com/file/rr8aXho8/CHUD_352.html

3. Nameci, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

Thanks, from what I have read, yes I just can't use 4.6.2 on my MDD. My dual 1.42 always stays at 58°c and it is pretty stable at that, but if I can make it go down to a lower value that would be great.

Do I need to install a script to enable it from login items or just tick it from the sys prefs?

Update: my temps are now lowest at 46°c on idle.

4. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You need to add the script to your login items so it will launch nap at boot. Otherwise you have to manually turn on nap after each reboot or startup.

The script won't work as a raw script file though. You need to save it as an app in script editor.

6. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hey, I am just getting a G5 Quad.. will I need nap mode for that? I don't really remember if I ran nap or not, or maybe on the G5's its not required.

7. Nameci, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

Hello all, thanks for the advise and additional info. I have never run the script on login items, I prefer to enable it in the syspref. Machine is always on anyway. Just restarted this morning after security update.

I am on the field right now, therefore I am viewing remotely and pretty much it maintains the low temperature at idle. :D

But why L3 cache says none? Is L3 cache being turned off all the way or just turned off at nap?

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have never used nap mode on a G5 so I can't answer that. Sorry.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

When I had an MDD and used Chud/Nap it gave me the option of disabling the L3 but it was seen and was activated by default. Maybe you disabled it without realizing.

I used CHUD 3.5.2 by the way..

10. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

L3 selection is there but you cannot select the value. Yes I am on CHUD 3.5.2. I will post the screen once I get back. I am presently on the field.