Cicada Ice Cream!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by appleguy123, Jun 7, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Source
    would you eat it? I think that I would, just to say that I had.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That sounds pretty disgusting to me. But then again I wouldn't eat anything that has living creatures killed to make it.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

You're a vegetarian then, right? Otherwise it would be very hypocritical to eat an animal with a highly developed nervous system, and feel bad about an insect.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, I am a vegetarian.

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I heard about this yesterday. They have over ran Missouri. I was running the trimmer Saturday and Sunday and I am guessing the sound of the line spinning at a certain RPM is cicada for "I'm a huge slut, please land on me!!". Felt like I was in the movie "The Birds".

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm a Missourian, too! I love the cicadas, but I'm glad they're not here every year.

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Can't say I am a fan of them. They are EVERYWHERE....Dogs seem to love eating them. I was getting my first experience walking on floor joists today setting them up so I was a little shaking. Didn't help when a cicada bounced off me while Im doing a balancing act 40 feet off the ground :mad:

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The cicadas didn't taste like anything because they boiled the flavor out of them. I've had cicadas in a couple of different places and I've never seen them boiled. Usually, they're fried or roasted.

Cicadas have a nutty flavor with an aftertaste of shellfish-like umami.

I think it's funny that people get the squeamish about eating insects when they won't think twice about shrimp, lobsters, crabs, crayfish or other shellfish, which are essentially the same thing.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm doing my part to thin out their numbers. The front of my car is covered in cicada guts. They must not have a very big brain. "Gee, a giant object moving really fast, I'm going to fly right towards it!"

At least birds are usually smart enough to get out of the way.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Eww...I don't eat seafood. It's only cows and pigs for me.:D And chickens, ducks, quails, lambs, goats, alligators (tastes like chicken, cliche but true) and rabbits.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've never tried alligators or rabbits, but anything that lives in water has a disgusting taste to me. Anyone know why that is? It's not limited to seafood. It's fish, too!

12. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

If you don't like that seafood (fish are seafood, BTW) aroma, you probably wouldn't like gator/crocs. Reptiles are somewhere between poultry and fish in terms of texture and aroma.