Cider Used to Pirate Games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Kosh66, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lol It wouldn't matter if they ported them to the Mac. Mac games are pirated to...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At least, someone is able to play games using their technology.

Where are those promised titles already? :p

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I searched cider on a torrent site and there was a Battlefield 2142 port already...

If amateurs can do it, whats taking EA so long to release those games?

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This is really strange for EA to not have this ready. In some ways, this reminds me of what happened to the music business. If you don't offer "x" product so that I can buy it then I'll download "x" product free. Mac users really want to play games on their Mac natively without running Windows otherwise people wouldn't bother with this wrapper stuff.

6. TheStranger55 macrumors member

I was gonna get a few EA cider games but the more I hear about the problems with cider and lack of games, I'm not really confident that EA would waste their time and money to give me tech support if the cider emulator were to work incorrectly.

I think I'll just get the PC equivalents and play it on boot camp where the games will be cheaper, more tech support and patches, and it will run natively so it'll be faster and less likely to run into problems.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm really interested in this; not for piracy, but I would love to figure out how to wrap an app in Cider. I've got a couple Windows apps that are low-performance and run perfectly fine in Parallels (they even worked in Virtual PC) and I would love to wrap them in Cider and execute them to save me time firing up Parallels every time.

Um, dude, this isn't a report about Cider problems; this report pretty much says Cider works so well that people are using it to run games it hasn't been optimized for!

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I am also interested if just in reading what has to be done.

I tried searching on the Lord Google but found not much so far. This topic came up though. :D

9. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

if you search for cider over at [please don't post ways to get there] a torrent for cider pops up. it's 33mb. it comes with the cider.app and a howto on how to wrap games or applications. you could always check that out.

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Maybe it will show publishers there IS a demand for their games on OS X. It should at least open their eyes. The people making the games aren't out there to hurt anyone; they just want to play their favorite games on OS X without Windows--and if the publishers won't step up to the plate, they'll suffer the consequences. In any case piracy happens anyways and always will happen.

Steve

11. Cheesecake macrumors member

It's relatively easy to do, which is kind of sad. It's no wonder people found out how to do it. It's a shame that the technology was so easy to turn to the advantage of the pirates, but all the more power to the people.

12. pprior macrumors 65816

Wait a minute, are you saying we can port our own PC games over to mac using this cider program?

I've got several older games that I know will never see a mac port and I'd like to play them.

13. ziutek macrumors member

On a french mac forum there is a nice list of what games work with the Cider hack (http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=224908)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The problem there is that Cider isn't free, and it appears to be licensed per game. It may be possible to reuse Cider if you buy a Cider-based game, but I haven't read the licence so I can't say for sure.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Out of curiosity, I downloaded and tried Hitman contracts on my Mac (see sig) and it ran so fine I finished it. Kudos to the developers...

16. funkypepper macrumors member

hi everyone.

I have nfs porsche, but could not work it out how this cider works. I followed the instructions, (first installed it on my friends pc, then copied to my mac) but it says that I have directx 3 and should install 7.

is there a solution?

thanks

edit: I tried again, and eventually it worked, but this time game covers the 1/4 of the screen and mouse does not work, pointer is stuck in the center of the game. again a directx problem?

17. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

i got hitman contracts and everything works except the people, it's weird. when i play it the actual bodies are transparant and invisible, anyone else experience this?

thanks

18. joemama2413 macrumors member

You can DL Cider, people have uploaded it to the internet. Not exactly legal though.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No wonder Bulmers (Magners) is closing it's bottling plant in Ireland then :eek::(

20. snappple macrumors newbie

hey almo, i just DLed the game and ive got the same problem as you, also, it runs smoothly but ive had 2 hangs so far. my macbook is new and it has 2gb of ram so it wasn't a very pleasant experience. have you managed to fix the problem? if so, care to share how?

21. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

hey, i haven't fixed it, i don't really know what to do or where to start.... being as there isn't much i can do

if you find anything lemme know
    it seems as though it can be fixed though as someone above us said they finished the game

22. snappple macrumors newbie

hmm alright, anyway what did u run the game on? just wanna clarify something :confused:

thanks.

23. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

24. Raidism macrumors newbie

bloody hell. i'm having the same problem. the environment is fine, but i can't see anyone! just floating heads and guns!

here's a screenshot of it from the beginning
    [​IMG]

anyone know how to fix this?

i run an intel Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz, 2 gig ram

25. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Anyone got Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth, Final Fantasy VII, or Star Wars Battlefront II working via Cider? I'm having some trouble, and I want to know if it's just me.