Cider? Wine? No milk here....

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Kelly™, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    I ran Bot Camp with a Vista install just so that I could play two games.
    • City of Villains
    • Call of Duty 4 | Modern Warfare
    Is there any way to use programs such as Cider or perhaps Wine to run these games under OS X directly?
    As in my sig, I have a perfectly good machine for it. forgive me, im new at gaming under OS X.

My BootCamp part crashed big time and was wondering if I even really needed it.

Any advice would help alot.
    Many thanks,
    Kelly

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I briefly tried tossing City of Heroes in a Cider configuration but couldn't get it to run...didn't try too hard though. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force ran great in a similar setup.

No clue about CrossOver Office or Wine though.

3. Kelly™ thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any guides on how to setup Cider?
    Where to get it?

I'm really new.
    I used wine in linux, so I kinda have a base of whats needed?

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

cider isn't actually an app. It is a technology used to convert windows code to something that mac can use. I have heard of people hacking a game that uses cider to run other games, though.

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Isn't Crossover making a game version. Wait for that to come out.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Crossover already runs games. It's its biggest selling feature actually. They advertise running Team Fortress 2 faster than anything else. Whether it's true is yet to be seen but it does run a wide list of games.

Crossover is an actual application that allows you to install windows apps/games onto OSX. It wraps them in 'bottles' that the crossover engine (basically a collection of windows dll's and other windows items) will run and allow the application/game to run.

Google codeweavers crossover and they have a compatibility list.

Google cider torrent and you can find the ripped cider app and even comes with a tutorial in the zip file.

Google, ahh hell, just GOOGLE.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

So you are saying that anyone can easily "Ciderize" a game he/she want to play on Mac?

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

No.

Sometime it works, sometimes it won't Cider usually requires some modifications per game.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I'm not saying ANYTHING. (mostly because I could never get it to work LOL)

Exactly. The cider code inside requires some game specific info that's not even documented in the tutorial. You have to hunt it down. THere's posts here in the Apple games with the links to related sites.

But I can say this. With BF2142 I was able to modify the cider files to run Northern Strike which isn't on Mac yet. I installed the game in Bootcamp, added the NS add on, then did some copying of files and had to (with the help of someone in another forums) hunt down windows registry keys and copy those as well. Rename directories, bla bla bla, bottom line, to much trouble but I ended up with BF2142 running WITH the NS add on.

There is one bug and it crashes at one screen but it's 99% working.

I would just see if the games you want are crossover compatible and if not, just keep bootcamping to play.