Cigars

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Meister, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

What cigars do you smoke.

Cuban - Non Cuban ? I am just curious.

I really like the Half Corona Upmann lately.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

By law, you can't buy Cubans in the US. While I'm sure that many get around the law, technically they're illegal, so you can't just go into a tobacco shop and buy them. It's also worth mentioning that many think the Dominican cigars are very close, or in some cases equal, to the quality of Cubans now.

I smoke Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva, Sun Grown, Double Chateau size.

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I wish the dominicans would be equal but i smoke a lot of cigars and the Cuban ones are in a different league.

I am just smoking a Flor de Copan from Honduras and while its a nice cigar its nowhere near the cubans.

The 'Dominico' budget cigar is an amazing bargain.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Of course, since this is not, apparently, a matter of taste but rather a matter of fact (as expressed in the quote above), I must be wrong about those who find some cigars other than Cubans the equal of Cubans.

I, and others, must be wrong. :rolleyes:

5. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

:) of course its a matter of taste. Everything is.
    You dont think that cubans have generaly more flavor?

There is some nasty cuban ones, too. Like quinteros. :(

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Given the opportunity, and the ability to deal with the expense, I would love to be able to buy Cubans.

And I would agree that for the most part, Cubans are more satisfyingly powerful than most other cigars.

My only point was that I have found that there are cigars pretty close to, or the equal of, some Cubans.

Also, during the huge cigar surge of interest some years ago, there were reports (and my experience with the very few Cubans I could get) that the quality of the construction suffered as a result of a huge increase in production.

Again, since my ability to obtain was, and is, very limited and is confined to only a few Cubans each year...the observation could be totally outdated now.

7. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I mainly smoke cubans because most cigars sold here are cubans and only buy non-cubans for the sake of variety and budget.

I found that cubans almost always have more facettes in their flavor development.
    I also found that cubans seem to be always rolled tighter which often gives them a unpleasently hard draw.

I feel bad for you not having access to cubans. :(

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I found this tool that has enabled me to smoke very tight, or even plugged, cigars. I prefer a very easy draw, and this won't give you a very light draw on a badly plugged cigar...but it will make it very smokable.

The link is to US Amazon, but I'm sure that you can find it over the pond.

9. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thank you! Ive never seen this. Plugged cigars are my most common problem.

10. 882188 macrumors regular

Where do you live, Meister? ;)

I don't usually smoke cigars, but when i do i smoke Cohibas. I have a friend that can get them pretty cheap, if you know what i mean. :)
    Actually, he recently hooked me up with a few boxes of Siglo VIs. Haven't tried one yet, i heard they are good.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since I bought the gizmo 4 or 5 years ago, I haven't had to throw away a single cigar.

If you get it, I can make a couple of suggestions about some tricks for using it.

12. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Germany. I am aging a Box of Cohiba Behike 12 from 2012 atm. Pretty much the best cig around but sure pricey.

----------

Thx! I will take you up in that. With the prize of good cigars you cant really afford throwing those away.
    Have to see where i can get that gadget here.

13. cynics macrumors G3

I usually stick with Ashton and Rocky Patel. I'm not too picky obviously.

14. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

15. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Illusione, drew estates, flor de las antillas, ghurka. Love em

16. Meister, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

These come highly recommended:
    [​IMG]
    I am smoking a robusto one right now and its the best non-cuban I ever had!
    Even burn, well built maduro, burns slowly, mild but intense sweet wood flavor. :)
    Been smoking for half an hour and only 1/4 through. Cant believe this one was only 1.90€

For those who have access to cubans: Try out the Hoyo Epicure Special Edition (Only in the casa del habano stores)
    Its' awesome!

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I went thru a cigar phase in the last year and one of my favorite smokes has to be this:

[​IMG]

Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. It has a candela wrapper and is just fantastic. I ended up buying a box of these after St. Patty's day. Worth every penny. I smoke one every so often.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've smoked cigarettes on and off for years. Love 'em.

But I just tried a cigar for the first time last week. Now, I was told by the others having them that these were the real deal, not convenience-store style cigars. I just couldn't get into it. I found it really gross.

I'd be willing to try others though, as long as I'm not paying for them!

19. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Maybe someone can help me (I HOPE). Several years ago I was at a cigar shop and was talking to the expert (owner) of the store. I am a light beer drinker and was looking for a good light or medium cigar that goes great with an occasional beer.

All I can remember about the cigar was that it had a real nutty flavor to it. I know it's a stretch but can someone recommend me a cigar of this nature. I would go to the shop again and talk to them but it has closed down.

20. Meister, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

Meister

What brand did you smoke? Some bad ones will never want you to taste a cigar ever again.

Cigars also need to be kept and aged in a certain enviroment. Once they dry out they get pretty nasty.

----------

Get a Hoyo de Monterrey Deluxe, a Hoyo de Monterrey du maire or this
    [​IMG] if you can't access cubans.
    These should fit your flavor.

Really any of the cuban brands: partagas, cohiba, hoyo and Upmann are very good, too.

Partagas are stronger with a more tabaco flavour.
    Cohibas I find very mild and a bit creamy.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you like Rocky Patel Connecticut's? One of my favorites, but then again, I have never had a true Cuban cigar.

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I used to smoke a bit, maybe 1-2 times a month, usually during the cooler months here so I could sit on the deck. Pretty much stopped about 2 years ago, though in the right circumstance, I’d probably light one up.

Like wine, beer and other craft type products, I really dig on the skill involved in producing a good smoke. If you’ve never seen a master roller at work, it’s pretty amazing.

I even enjoyed Drew Estate products, the ACID line like the Kuba Kuba - even thought those are kind of taboo in certain “purist” circles.

I’ve got a decent selection that I’ve been tending, but not smoking, including some really outstanding smokes. Some Fuente’s (a couple of these will really set you back now), La Gloria, a Punch or two, and a few ... umm ... offshore sourced products :D

Some fun gear (I think that’s a part of cigars, the accessories), a small, beautiful little humi, a couple of torches by Prometheus, Xikar punch, wife got a me a beautiful LV cutter for my birthday one year (though I prefer a punch) - and one of my favorites, a carbon fiber travel case from Griffin (real CF, not hydrographic, etc.)

We have two shops right up in the Old City (~4 miles away), same owner, one is a bar, live music, great beer/wine selection, nice fire pit outside - lots of fun times (hmm, a few late evenings with some +crazy+ fun). The other shop is smokes only, but a few different products plus accessories, supplies (butane, PG for the humidifier).

Reading this thread, and writing the above, actually makes me want to have one. :cool:

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I honestly have no idea. Having never done it, and being in a cigar lounge, I just said "give me something mild". Everyone else seemed to really be loving it...I just couldn't get into it. It seriously tasted like I was smoking dirt. I'd certainly be willing to try it again. I enjoy cigarettes from time to time, and love our hookah. So, it's not the smoking part that bothered me, just the flavor.

I'm pretty sure these were kept well. They had them in some sort of "fridge" looking apparatus.

24. Meister, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

Meister

It's called a humidor.
    Depends on how well the enviroment in the humidor is adjusted and kept.
    I assume that a cigar lounge knows how to maintain their humidor, but you never know.

It's also a matter of personal preference.
    I keep my humidors very humid because I love a well moisturized cigar. :)

I personally find cigarettes gross and hate the inhaling part.
    Good cigars shouldn't taste like dirt.

Usually a sign for quality cigars is: cuban, longfiller, hand rolled, distinguished leaves and well kept.

The quality of the cigar is crucial, because otherwise it's a really bad experience.

Casa del habano flys them in from cuba to demonstrate their craft live here. :)
    Most cigars here are cuban and they do provide the best quality, but they are still pricey.
    I am always looking for affordable quality smokes and had some good experiences with dominican ones, like the one I posted.